Subject: RE: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-05.txt

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:36:00 -0600

I think what this means is that instead of having IANA assign and register, IANA would only
register. So, when the draft enters the RFC-Editor queue, IANA is contacted as it normally
is and IANA would contact CableLabs which would assign the suboption. IANA then registers it.

Is that correct? Seems OK by me if IANA is willing.

This means CableLabs can start using the suboption as soon as the draft enters the RFC-Editor
queue instead of having to await actual publication of the RFC.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Duffy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 11:27 PM
To: Ted Lemon
Cc: Ralph Droms; Thomas Narten; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-05.txt

At 06:45 PM 12/30/2002 -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:
>>Future proposed sub-options will be assigned a numeric code chosen by 
>>CableLabs immediately following IESG approval of the draft.
>
>What does "IETF approval of the draft" mean?   If it means that the draft 
>has been adopted by the WG, sounds fine, but if it means that the draft 
>has passed the IESG review, then what's the point of the expert review?
>

Hi Ted,

The point I am trying to get across is that the DHC WG, ADs, IESG, etc. 
approve the technical content/semantics of the sub-option, then Cablelabs 
would assign the sub-option code.  I'm trying to balance CableLab's need 
for speed with IETF's review of the content of the sub-option.  The expert 
review would be only for the choice of sub-option code assignment(?), not 
the actual technical content of the draft.

So the order of events would be:

1. CCC sub-option draft submitted to DHC WG.
2. DHC WG, AD, IESG review/approve sub-option format and content.
3. Cablelabs assigns sub-option code.
4. IETF expert reviewer approves code assignment.
5a. Cablelabs compliant vendors start implementing sub-option for testing 
and shipment to customer.
5b. Draft is simultaneously submitted to RFC editor Q.

If all goes well, field shipments can commence just about the time the RFC 
exits the editor Q.

I'm grasping for a compromise here.  Any suggestions?

Cheers,

--

Paul Duffy
Cisco Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg