Subject: [dhcwg] renew/rebind can mean reconfigure?

From: Thamer Al-Harbash <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:20:33 -0400 (EDT)

RFC2131 mentions that the client should not use its old address
if a new one is assigned via a rebind or renew. It also mentions
that the user should be notified of the problem.

There's no mention whether or not the client should configure a
new address or any of the new leases. Most clients I have looked
at will attempt to reconfigure values which have changed, but I
cannot find a single piece of literature from the DHC IETF group
that verifies that this is the correct behaviour.

What is the correct thing to do as the client if a rebind/renew
causes the server to change the client's IP address or any of the
configuration values in the lease?

-- 
Thamer Al-Harbash

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Thamer Al-Harbash <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Thamer Al-Harbash wrote:

I feel I worded this extra badly, so I'll give it another go and
hope someone can shed some light on this.

> that the user should be notified of the problem.

Currently all the DHCP clients I've looked at save my own will
reconfigure a system if the DHCP options passed during a rebind
or renew are different than those acquired in the original lease
offer.

Nothing I can see in RFC2131 specifies whether:

(1) The server can change configuration parameters in an offered
    lease and send the new parameters later in a request from the client
    during renew or rebind.

(2) The client should reconfigure do if the parameters after a
     renew or rebind differ from of an lease already acquired.

RFC3203 does shed some light on this with a FORCERENEW message.

-- 
Thamer Al-Harbash

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:03:32 -0500

>      renew or rebind differ from of an lease already acquired.

Yes, these are frustrating omissions in RFC2131.   For a long time, most DHCP 
clients in fact ignored changes, but  think at this point people pretty much 
understand that that's not the right thing to do.