Subject: [dhcwg] "client identifier" in server replies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:06:50 +0800

Hi, If the client is setting "client identifier" but not "client hardware addr" in the messages that it is sending to server, server is supposed to identify it with "client identifier". But as per RFC2131, server MUST NOT fill "client identifier" option in OFFER and ACK messages. If this is the case, how is client supposed to validate the response (as 'xid' alone is not sufficient)???

regards,
swamy.

---

From: Thamer Al-Harbash <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:59:45 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi, If the client is setting "client identifier" but not "client hardware addr" in the messages that it is sending to server, server is supposed to identify it with "client identifier". But as per…

Why? An xid is a 32-bit unsigned integer. That's about as many IP
addresses as are possibly with IPv4. Unless you're picking your
xid badly, this shouldn't be a problem.

Also, unless the client requests broadcasts with the broadcast
bit, the server will be unicasting replies to it. The MAC
addresses with the xid should be sufficient.

-- 
Thamer Al-Harbash

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg