Subject: [dhcwg] I need help with an event warning.

From: "Doug" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:42:44 -0500

I have been getting this event warning 16 times every time I startup my machine.
Could somebody help me out on how to eliminate it.
Thanks in advance.
Doug Veronda

Date:     7/13/2003                Event ID:     1002
Time     12:32:13 PM            Source:        Dhcp
User:    N/A                        Type:    Warning
Computer:    CX33871-B        Category:    None

I am getting an event detail at startup of:
DHCP received an unknown option 000 of length 255. The raw option data is given below. 

00c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00c8: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00d8: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00e8: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
00f8: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00      ..

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:14:12 -0700

Regarding DHC meeting discussion on auth vs encry of relay agent options..
Please see draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-auth-01.txt:

5. Use of IPsec to secure DHCP messages

   Relay agents and servers that exchange messages securely can use
   IPsec mechanisms [5] as described in this section.  Relay agents and
   servers MUST support manual configuration and installation of static
   keys.  If a client message is relayed through multiple relay agents,
   each of the relay agents must have established independent, pairwise
   trust relationships.  That is, if messages from client C will be
   relayed by relay agent A to relay agent B and then to the server,
   relay agents A and B must be configured to use IPSec for the messages
   they exchange, and relay agent B and the server must be configured to
   use IPSec for the messages they exchange.

   Relay agents and servers that support secure relay agent to server or
   relay agent to relay agent communication, MUST include an IPsec
   implementation with the following restrictions:

   o  The IPsec implementation MUST use ESP [6]

   o  Packet authentication MUST be applied

   o  Encryption MAY be applied (i.e., NULL encryption can be used)

So, this is using ESP, not AH. I don't see an issue with using non-NULL
encryption if one needs to.

Alper

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg