Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP v4 server listening on V6 interfaces

From: Sridhar Bandi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:27:11 +0530

Greetings,

   A newbie to DHCP, excuse me if I am wrong.
   I would like to know if there are any DHCPv4 server accepting
   the requests on IPv6 addresses i.e the DHCPv4 servers ported
   to V6 environments. This would be for the mixed environments.
   And is this a valid scenario to any extent?

TIA,
sridhar

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:10:59 -0700

>    And is this a valid scenario to any extent?
No, because the DHCPv4 client wouldn't be able to communicate with a  
DHCPv4 server using an IPv6 address.   I suppose you could hack an  
IPv4 relay agent to send DHCPv4 packets to an IPv6 address, but  
nobody's talking about doing anything like that, and there's no  
infrastructure for it.

---

From: Sridhar Bandi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:25:46 +0530

Hi,

 Thanks for the comment. That would help me.

Regards,
bandi