Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages
	Author(s)	: D. Evans, R. Droms
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 2006-9-15
	
   The Rebind message type in the Reconfigure Message option of a
   Reconfigure message allows DHCPv6 servers to instruct clients to
   perform a Rebind operation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:32:14 -0400

Wouldn't it be easier just to clarify RFC 3315 to state that the
Reconfigure causes the client to Renew to the server that sent the
(authenticated) Reconfigure?

RFC 3315 doesn't state where the RENEW should be sent. Implementations
could do either - send the Renew to the original server or the server
that sent the Reconfigure. The Reconfigure includes the
server-identifier option, so the client has available all it needs to
send the renewal to the server that initiated the Reconfigure.

We could address this immediately by filing an errata for RFC 3315 and
incorporate that into an eventual RFC 3315-bis. I think doing this even
if you wanted to proceed with this draft would be good otherwise client
behavior will be unpredictable.

Or, are there other reasons why you feel strongly that REBIND should be
allowed? (Perhaps you envision a system that can initiate client
Reconfigures that isn't a DHCP server for that client -- but obviously
it must be able to communicate with the DHCP servers to obtain the
Reconfigure key or this system and the server must have a means to
generate the same Reconfigure key for a client.)

- Bernie 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
Messages
	Author(s)	: D. Evans, R. Droms
	Filename	:
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 2006-9-15

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-re
bind-00.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00.txt".
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers