Subject: RE: [dhcwg] [Question]Question of message exchange between Server and Relay agent

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:25:39 -0400

I would expect any general purpose server to have this capability and
all of those that I know do have it (for DHCPv4 and DHCPv6).

There are plenty of servers that probably don't have it -- such as those
embedded in home routers (i.e., Linksys, et al, boxes). However, I've
never expressedly tested them for this support so it is always possible
that they do.

So, if you're building a server that is going into a known and very
limited environment (such as those home routers), it may be prefectly
fine to leave out this support if it isn't needed for that application.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Hideshi Enokihara [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 4:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] [Question]Question of message exchange between Server
and Relay agent

Hi all,

I'd like to know the actual state whether to have the function that
almost all Server communicate with Relay agent.

Do almost all DHCP Server venders implement functions that are sending
Relay-Reply message and receiving Relay-foward message, even if in the
situation in which the server doesn't require Relay agents?

I mean that DHCP Server are used in the situation in which any Relay
Agents are not using.
In this situation, does the Sever usually have the function to
comunicate(using Relay-Reply and Relay-Foward message) with Relay agent?

Are there any DHCPv6 Server that does not have the function to
comunicate with Relay Agent?
Is such a server very small number?

I'd like to know the actual state regarding this both in IPv4 and IPv6.

Best regards,
-- 
*************************************
Hideshi Enokihara
IPv6 Business
Network & Software Development Dept.
Yokogawa Electric Corporation

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:11:40 -0700

> fine to leave out this support if it isn't needed for that  

My experience is that when you make decisions on this basis, it comes  
back to haunt you later.   It would be far better to just implement  
the whole spec.   Decisions like this are why I run my DHCPv4 server  
on my linux box and not on my home router, for instance.   You won't  
regret doing it right, but you probably will regret doing it wrong.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:06:35 +0900

Hi Bernie and Ted, 

Thank you for your valuable opinions. 

Now, I'm surveying DHCPv6 implementations general spec and current
situation
for writing specification of IPv6 Ready Logo for DHCPv6.
So, I asked those questions.

Your opinions very usefull for that.
Again, thank you for your answers.

Best Regards,
> From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:12 AM
> To: Bernie Volz ((volz))
> Cc: Enokihara, Hideshi ([email-masked]); 
> [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [dhcwg] [Question]Question of message exchange 
> between Server and Relay agent
>