Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-timezone-option-02.txt

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:05:49 -0700

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 06:28:11AM -0400, Ralph Droms wrote:
> The authors have published draft-ietf-dhc-timezone-option-02.txt.  The
> Microsoft timezone option has been removed from this revision, as it has
> been found to be unnecessary.

Minor editorial nit; the document specifies two example strings for
the two options, and does so using "'s.  In one case it separates
the example from the paragraph:

   POSIX string is a string suitable for the TZ variable as specified by
   [1] in Section 8.3, with the exception that a string may not begin
   with a colon (":").  This string is NOT terminated by an ASCII NULL.
   An example might be as follows:

   "EST5EDT4,M3.2.0/02:00,M11.1.0/02:00"

In the other, it includes it in its own paragraph:

   TZ Name is the name of a Zone entry in the database commonly referred
   to as the TZ database.  In order for this option to be useful, the
   client must already have a copy of the database.  This string is NOT
   terminated with an ASCII NULL.

   An example string would be "Europe/Zurich".

It may or may not be clear to a reader wether the " characters
are expected to be part of the option contents.

I think if the string and paragraph are separated, such as in the
first case, "'s should not be used (and an extra indent would be
good).  If the string and paragraph are conjoined, as in the second
case, I think the use of "'s is correct and desirable.

Consistency between the two would be good also.

I think this is a minor editorial nit if the author chooses to respond
to it; a beautification excercise, and so I support WG last call on
this document.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg