Subject: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on "DHCP options for PANA Authentication Agents"

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:45:16 +0200

This message announces a dhc wg last call on "DHCP options for PANA
Authentication Agents" <draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-03.txt>.  The last
call will conclude at 1700EDT on Fri, 2006-09-01.

Note that there is a parallel WG last call on this document in the
pana wg.  Discussion may take place on either pana or dhc lists, and
will be coordinated as needed by the WG chairs.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.  Lack of discussion does not
represent positive support.  If there is no expression of support for
acceptance during the WG last call, the document will not be advanced
to the IESG.

draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-03.txt defines DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 options
that allow a PANA client (PaC) to discover PANA Authentication Agents
(PAA).  This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-03.txt

Stig

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:10:01 +0900

Rearranging option formats except suboption seem clear.

I support this document to be moved forward with minor changes.

[1] Page 2

Requirements Language

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

It's duplicated sentence with Section 3. 
SUGGESTION: Removed

[2] Introduction

This document specifies DHCPv4 [RFC2131] and DHCPv6 [RFC3315] options
that allow PANA client (PaC) to discover PANA Authentication Agents
(PAA).  This is one of the many methods for locating PAN
Authentication Agents: manual configuration is an example of another one.

"manual configuration is an example of another one" is not necessary
phrase in this sentence. DHCP is an option. It implies several methods
are available already in PANA space. So, specific example as *manual*
is not needed to appear in here.
SUGGESTION: Removed

[3] Terminology

It is not clear. In fact, lot of DHC folks don't know about PANA. 
SUGGESTION: Elaborate relevant terms described in this document
in brief especially, PaC, PAA.

[4] DHCP Specification Dependency

This document describes new options for DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 for
obtaining a list of IP addresses to locate a PANA Authentication
Agent.

This document should be read in conjunction with the DHCPv4
specifications [RFC2131], [RFC2132] and DHCPv6 specification
[RFC3315].

Definitions for terms and acronyms not specifically defined in this
document are defined in [RFC2131], [RFC2132] and [RFC3315].
 
Why we need this section ? Seems duplicated sentences. 
SUGGESTION: Removed or elaborate any explicit aspect.

Hope this helps...

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:24:12 +0200

We need more people to respond for this to pass last call, there are now 
2 days left. Please help review the document, and let us know whether 
you support it.

 From a dhc perspective we need to at least make sure that the use of 
DHCP and the option format etc make sense.

Many thanks to the one person who has responded so far,

Stig

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:59:04 +0200

Hi Stig, 

I reviewed the document when I worked on the LoST discovery draft. 

I think the draft is good. It does not use  RFC 3396 (long option encoding) but I think it is not necessary since PAA FQDN discovery is not supported (and I think is not not needed either). 

Ciao
Hannes

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Stig Venaas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. August 2006 09:24
> An: dhcwg
> Cc: Ralph Droms; 'Basavaraj Patil'
> Betreff: Re: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on "DHCP options for 
> PANA AuthenticationAgents"
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:19:15 -0700

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Stig Venaas wrote:
> We need more people to respond for this to pass last call, there are  
> now 2 days left. Please help review the document, and let us know  
> whether you support it.
>

The options look fine now.   I'm in favor of the draft advancing.