Subject: [dhcwg] Clarification about Reconfigure Accept

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:24:14 -0500

Lisceives a
Reply with the key information.  I think the desired behavior would be for
the client to discard any Reconfigure messages received before the initial
message excahgne is complete.

The second clarification is about client behavior if it receives a
Reconfigure message after T1 and the client has already initiated but not
completed a Renew message exchange.  Because of the parameters for the Renew
message exchange after T1, the client will continue to retransmit the Renew
message until either it receives a Reply or time T2.  Does it make sense for
the client to initiate a parallel Renew message exchange when it is already
waiting for a Reply?  I think the desired behavior would be for the client
to discard any Reconfigure messages it receives if it already has a Renew
message exchange in progress (i.e., any time after T1).  (Note that the
comments above generalize to time T2 and Rebind.)

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:43:59 -0500

I'd say that the client ignore the Reconfigure Key. There is no point in
storing it because the server hasn't indicated its acceptance of the
client to do Reconfigure.

Note also that if another authentication protocol is in use, the
Reconfigure Accept option is what controls whether the client does
reconfigure.

(We might also ask what happens if the server sends a Reconfigure-Accept
but the client hasn't requested it; I presume that the client would
ignore the request and also ignore the reconfigure key.)

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) 
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 12:24 PM
To: dhcwg
Cc: Margo Dolas; 'John McQueen'
Subject: [dhcwg] Clarification about Reconfigure Accept

Margo asked a question about Reconfigure Accept and Authentication
options
in a message from the DHCPv6 server:

  If the client includes the Reconfigure Accept option, and the server
  does not include one in the Reply, but it does include the
  Reconfigure Key in an Auth Option, should the client go ahead and
  store the Reconfigure Key and enable Reconfigure support, or should
  it use the absence of the Reconfigure Accept option to disable
  Reconfigure support and ignore the key?

Is there any advantage to storing the Reconfiuger key for later use?  Or
should this scenario be treated as an error condition, with the client
simply ignoring the Authentication option and subsequent Reconfigure
messages?

- Ralph