Subject: [dhcwg] a question for rfc3993

From: "CTO WEN Haibo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:33:13 +0800

Dear all,
 
I have a question about RFC3993 (i.e.,"Subscriber-ID Suboption for the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Relay Agent Option"). Hope you could help me.
In this RFC, it says: 
   Subscriber-ID suboption carries a value that can be independent of
   the physical network configuration through which the subscriber is
   connected.  ...  The "subscriber-id" assigned by the provider
   is intended to be stable as customers connect through different
   paths, and as network changes occur. 
I want to know who is responsible to insert this sub-option? If it is the relay agent, what policy or mapping are used for inserting this suboption into the DHCP message from the some DHCP client?
Hope you could help me remove these confusions.
 
Thank you in advance. 
 
Best regards, 
Haibo WEN
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:53:20 -0800

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 09:33:13AM +0800, CTO WEN Haibo wrote:
> I want to know who is responsible to insert this sub-option?

As the sub-option is part of the Relay Agent Information Option,
only the relay may apply it to a packet which it is forwarding
to a DHCP server.

DHCP servers place the relay agent option into any replies they
send to the relay (not directly to the client), which is required
to be a copy of what the relay supplied, but it would be more
accurate to say that the relay supplied the contents of this
option in either case.

> If it is the relay agent, what policy or mapping are used for inserting this suboption into the DHCP message from the some DHCP client?

This is left entirely to a combination of the relay software
implementor and the system's administration.

The subscriber-id is intended to be the identity used internally
by a company to describe a relationship to a customer, or a
customer's product.

-- 
ISC Training!  http://www.isc.org/training/  [email-masked]
Washington DC area, April 16-20 2007.  DNS & BIND, DDNS & DHCP.
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins