Subject: [dhcwg] Two new drafts on L2RA and Relay Chaining in DHCP v4

From: "pavan_kurapati" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:41:12 +0530

Hi,

After presenting the 'Leasequery extension to L2 networks' and 'unicast-address sub-option' in the WG meeting held in San Diego and subsequent discussions offline, we decided to combine the two drafts and also define the functionality of Layer 2 Relay Agent in one draft. We have created one new draft which talks about Layer 2 Access networks and the role of Layer 2 Relay Agents in those networks. In the same draft we have covered things like extension of  leasequery and avoiding flooding in L2 networks.

Also, during discussion with Woj we realised that cases where Layer 3 Relay Agents using unnumbered interfaces cannot be handled properly with the existing mechanism of L2RA-L3RA combination. Woj suggested the usage of relay chaining mechanism in DHCP v4. So, we have created a new draft which introduces relay chaining mechanism in DHCP v4. Please review these two drafts and provide your suggestions

Link and abstract of both are mentioned below:

        Title           : Layer 2 Relay Agent
        Author(s)       : B. Joshi, et al.
        Filename        : draft-joshi-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00.txt
        Pages           : 25
        Date            : 2007-2-13
      
   In Layer 2 Access Networks, Access Concentrators are present between
   DHCP Clients and Relay Agent.  In this case, the Relay Agent can not
   uniquely identify the end host and hence can not add unique 'Relay
   Agent Information' option corresponding to the end hosts in DHCP
   messages.  As the Access concentrators are closer to the end hosts,
   they can uniquely identify the end hosts and add the Relay Agent
   Information option in the DHCP message.  Access concentrators do not
   set the 'giaddr' field.  Access Concentrators in this mode are
   typically known as Layer 2 Relay agents.

   This document provides insight to the behavior of the Access
   Concentrators which act as DHCP Layer 2 Relay Agents in Access
   Networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-joshi-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00.txt <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-joshi-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00.txt>

        Title           : Relay Chaining in DHCPv4
        Author(s)       : B. Joshi, P. Kurapati
        Filename        : draft-kurapati-dhc-relay-chaining-dhcpv4-00.txt
        Pages           : 16
        Date            : 2007-2-13
      
   DHCP Relay Agents eliminate the necessity of having a DHCP server on
   each physical network.  DHCPv4 assumes that there is always only one
   Relay Agent between DHCP clients and DHCP server.  In certain network
   configurations, a DHCP server may be multiple subnets away from the
   DHCP client and multiple Relay Agents may be configured to relay DHCP
   messages to and from DHCP client.  Such configuration can be
   supported only when each Relay Agent adds certain Information to DHCP
   messages before relaying them.  This additional information helps in
   relaying the DHCP reply back to the DHCP client through the same
   path.  This mechanism is often referred as Relay Chaining.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kurapati-dhc-relay-chaining-dhcpv4-00.txt <http://webmail.ad.infosys.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kurapati-dhc-relay-chaining-dhcpv4-00.txt>

Thanks,
Pavan

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg