Subject: [dhcwg] Issue related to DHCPv6 Client FQDN Option. RFC 4704

From: Maverick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:26:00 +0530

Hi All,
I have a query related to RFC 4704. In section 6.1 the RFC says
"The Server MAY Perform these updates even if the client message did not
carry the Clients FQDN option"

How is it possible for the DHCP server to carry out DNS Updates without the
FQDN as the server will not get the Hostname either.

Can someone tell what should be the server behaviour for DNS updates when
the client does not send the FQDN Option.

Thanks in Advance,
M.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Maverick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:27:38 +0530

> How is it possible for the DHCP server to carry out DNS Updates without
> the FQDN as the server will not get the Hostname either.
>

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:28:49 -0800

> FQDN as the server will not get the Hostname either.

In this case, the DHCP server is assigning a name irrespective of
whatever name the client has assigned to itself.

This can be an individual configuration parameter on a client by
client basis - the operator enters an FQDN for each device they
know not to provide the information.  Or it can be created
dynamically from information known about the client.

As an example, it is somewhat common practice among ISC DHCP operators
to construct FQDN's from some information about the client, usually
the hardware address, or more commonly (I think) the last octet(s) of
the leased IP address:

	dhcp-00-0C-76-16-40-40.example.com.	IN A 192.168.0.1
	dhcp-247.example.com.			IN A 10.0.0.247

In this case the operator knows 'example.com' as a given, as it is
their domain and they've configured the neccessary access lists or
keys for dynamic updates.  The hostname prefix is created through
configuration syntax.

> the client does not send the FQDN Option.

The RFCs intentionally leave this entirely up to the server
implementor and/or operator.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:59:05 -0500

The DHCP server could be configured to generate a name for the client
(and add it to the DNS).
 
- Bernie

________________________________

From: Maverick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Issue related to DHCPv6 Client FQDN Option. RFC
4704

	Hi All,
	I have a query related to RFC 4704. In section 6.1 the RFC says
	"The Server MAY Perform these updates even if the client message
did not carry the Clients FQDN option"
	 
	How is it possible for the DHCP server to carry out DNS Updates
without the FQDN as the server will not get the Hostname either.
	 
	Can someone tell what should be the server behaviour for DNS
updates when the client does not send the FQDN Option.
	 
	Thanks in Advance,
	
	M.