Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery (DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery) to Proposed Standard

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:00:39 +0200

I wanted to send a message about my conclusion of this thread, as the 
draft is now progressing to IESG review.

I sympathize with the desire to pull as much data as possible with a 
simple request and no prior knowledge of what sessions exist. I think it 
is obvious that with a better understanding of how to use SNMP, we can 
avoid the silliest approach to pulling data -- I hope there is a way to 
provide better education on how to use SNMP for something like this. But 
I'm not expert enough to say whether you can reach exactly an equivalent 
model as this draft has. Maybe.

Nevertheless, it is clear to me that there is consensus in the WG to do 
this. They are chartered to do infrastructure improvements (such as this 
one) to DHCP. There are customers who need to do this. The last call 
discussion has raised alternative ways to implement this but no specific 
problems in the current approach. I believe that in this case we need to 
let the WG use the approach they have chosen. More generally, I believe 
that if there are specific data access needs in applications for large 
volume, bulk, etc -- the WGs in charge of those applications can choose 
the approach they want to use for the access to the data. While most of 
our management needs are fulfilled by MIBs, I do not think we can 
preclude other solutions for specialized situations, such as recovering 
DHCP session data.

Jari

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg