Subject: [dhcwg] Vendor Message Drafts - Please Review / Start WG Last Call?

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:52:57 -0500

On 1/22, the updated (and now WG work item) DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 vendor
message drafts were submitted:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-vendor-message
-00.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-vendor-message
-00.txt

The major change over the previous (individual submission) versions was
that the vendor data now has a specific format instead of being up to
the vendor. That format for the vendor data is now:
	octet of vendor-msg-type
	zero or more octets of vendor-specific options data

This does allow for Wireshark and similar tools to provide some basic
level of decoding - and it is always possible to add vendor-specific
decoding (via catalog of vendor messages and option definitions).

Please review as I'd like to request that we do a DHC WG Last Call on
these documents unless there are issues?

- Bernie
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:00:24 -0800

I agree.  These seem very useful and I haven't heard any opposition so  
far, so I second this WG LC request.

/raj