Subject: Re: [dhcwg] [ntpwg] NTP WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-03.txt

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:52:27 -0400

Sorry for the delay. I have two issues which I thought had been agreed upon:

Major:
1) That this draft should obsolete RFC 4075 and the "SNTP" option should
be withdrawn and that this will replace it. The rationale for this is
that this draft contains everything that the "SNTP" option contains and
then some so there is no need for both options. There are no
distinguishing characteristics that a client would be required to use an
SNTP server instead of an NTP server and vice versa. From the client's
point of view they are interchangeable.

Minor:
2) The term "NTP Server" can be used interchangably with "SNTP Server"
and NTP Client with SNTP Client.  For example, in Section 3 the first
paragraph should be replaced with:

This option serves as a container for all the information related to one
NTP server or SNTP server.  This option can appear multiple times in a
DHCPv6 message. Each instance of this option is to be considered by the
NTP client or SNTP client as a server to include in its configuration.

These are the only two issues that I have with the document as it now
stands. If these can be addressed then we should be able to move the
document forward.

Danny

Brian Haberman wrote:
> All,
>       This LC ended over a month ago with no comments.  We cannot 
> advance a document to the IESG if there is no support for it (silence is 
> not consensus).  If you support (or object) to the advancement of this 
> document we need to hear it, preferably on the mailing list but 
> privately to the chairs is acceptable.
> 
> Regards,
> Brian
> 
> Odonoghue, Karen F CIV NSWCDD, W23 wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> This message starts a 2-week NTP Working Group Last Call on advancing:
>>
>>        Title     : Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
>>        Author(s) : R. Gayraud and B. Lourdelet
>>        Filename  : draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-03.txt
>>        Pages     : 10
>>        Date      : March 6, 2009
>> 	
>> as a Proposed Standard document.  Substantive comments and statements of support or opposition for advancing this document should be directed to the mailing list.  Editorial suggestions can be sent to the document editor.  This last call will end on May 20.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brian & Karen
>> NTP co-chairs

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.