Subject: [dhcwg] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3942 (3204)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 03:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC3942,
"Reclassifying Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol version 4 (DHCPv4) Options".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3942&eid=3204

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 6. IANA Cons

Original Text
-------------
   4. change the listing of any options listed as "Tentatively-Assigned"
|     to "Unavailable" 18 months from this RFC's publication date and
      periodically thereafter as long as there is an option listed as
      "Tentatively-Assigned", if no un-expired Internet-Draft exists
      documenting the usage.

Corrected Text
--------------
   4. change the listing of any options listed as "Tentatively-Assigned"
|     to "Unassigned" 18 months from this RFC's publication date and
      periodically thereafter as long as there is an option listed as
      "Tentatively-Assigned", if no un-expired Internet-Draft exists
      documenting the usage.

Notes
-----
The body of the RFC clearly states in Section 4, bullet 4.
that the IANA action desired by the RFC is to make these code
points available for assignment after the 18-month grace period.

This Errata Note is tagged as "Technical" because the inconsistency
between the IANA Considerations and the body of the RFC apparently
has caused IANA to not follow the body and spirit of the RFC -- at
the time this Errata Note is being filed, there are several entries
left in the BOOTP+DHCP parameters option codes registry that should
have been cleaned up and made available for assignment since the
publication of RFC 3942 in November 2004.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC3942 (draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options-01)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Reclassifying Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol version 4 (DHCPv4) Options
Publication Date    : November 2004
Author(s)           : B. Volz
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Dynamic Host Configuration
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG