Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DUID+IAID

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:20:48 -0500

Greg:

Most of the time the IAID is immaterial unless you want explicit IAIDs
to get an explicit address (or prefix delegation). When the client shows
up and wants an address or prefix, you give it the reservation based on
the Client DUID.

If there is a multi-homed client (such as one that has a wired and
wireless) and you bridge these networks, you won't be able to assure
whether the wired or wireless gets that reservation since they appear on
the same "link" to the server, but does that really matter in this case?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Ted Lemon
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 11:12 AM
To: A. Gregory Rabil
Cc: [email-masked]; Francis Dupont
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DUID+IAID

> If I want to assign a specific address to the wired interface and a
separate, specific address to the wireless interface, how do I know what
the IAID will be for each of them?

You find out when you get a DHCP packet from each interface, and each
packet contains a DUID+IAID, and also contains the hardware address
(assuming that you already know which hardware address corresponds to
which interface).
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "A. Gregory Rabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:05:33 -0400

Hi Bernie,

> the same "link" to the server, but does that really matter in this case?

Maybe, maybe not.  For example, an administrator may wish to favor
the wired interface for the reservation.  Provided requests from each
interface are sent separately, and contain the proposed link-layer-addr
for the interface on which the request is sent, then I suppose they
could configure it via the mac as they would in DHCPv4.  I do
understand why this may be a bad idea, but some admins just want
to configure things using the same tag (notice I didn't say
identifier ;-)) they are used to using.

Greg