Subject: [dhcwg] WGLC summary on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateful-issues-05: Failed

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:38:49 +0100

On 20.01.2014 20:05, Tomek Mrugalski wrote:
> Since Bernie is co-author, I'll manage this work group last call on my
> own. Authors believe that stateful-issues-05 draft is ready for WG last
> call. Please post your comments no later than on February 3rd.
I'm sorry to announce that this document has failed its WGLC. There were
only three responses, one of them being from an author. I'm sorry, but
this is not enough to pass a last call.

With my chair hat off, I'm very disappointed at this. This is a very
good document and essential stepping stone that would help a lot with
3315bis work. We had a discussion with Bernie about why people didn't
respond to this. Perhaps there are too many WGLC/adoption calls lately,
so people are not able to cope up with the pace? Did people lost
interest in this work? That seems unlikely. Please keep in mind that the
support is not transitive. If you voiced your support during adoption
call, it does not imply that you still support that work during WGLC.
Perhaps there are too many other drafts being worked on at the same
time? Would it be helpful if we stopped accepting any new work until
existing drafts are done (or at least a majority of them)?

This document attempts to fix several protocol issues. This is
especially depressing, since Timothy Winters, who is involved in DHCPv6
interop testing explicitly mentioned that there are real life interop
issues observed. So this draft addressing a very real problem. It's not
a theoretical type of thing.

I'll work with Bernie and Ole on the next steps. There will likely be a
presentation about this draft in London.

Tomek