Subject: [dhcwg] Rechartering DHC

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:44:21 +0000

Hello:

We are proposing to update the DHC WG charter. This update is fairly minor in that the current charter (07) is revised as follows:

1.       Updates the list of items being worked on (in bullet 1) - removing those items that we have completed and adding those items adopted by the WG.

2.       Removing #2 (NTP option update).

3.       Removing #3 (option guidelines).

4.       Fixing a typo in old #8 (problems replaced with specifications) - this is now #6.

The updated proposed charter text is below.

Please comment to the WG and ADs. We will quickly cover this charter update at the Toronto IETF.

-          Bernie and Tomek

Charter for Working Group

The Dynamic Host Configuration working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP
for automated allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses
and TCP/IP protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a Draft
Standard and is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently
a Proposed Standard and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for defining DHCP protocol extensions.
Definitions of new DHCP options that are delivered using standard
mechanisms with documented semantics are not considered a protocol
extension and thus are outside of scope for the DHC WG. Such options
should be defined within their respective WGs and reviewed by the DHCP
Directorate. However, if such options require protocol extensions or new
semantics, the protocol extension work must be done in the DHC WG.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

1. Develop extensions to the DHCPv6 infrastructure as required to meet
new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
development are:
- DHCPv6 Stateful issues
- DHCPv6 Failover
- DHCPv6 Load Balancing
- Extending DHCPv6 to work with multiple provisioning domains
- DHCP provisioning of IPv4 clients over IPv6 networks
- Access Network Identifier options
- DNS registration for SLAAC
- Active leasequery
- Secure DHCPv6 with Public Key
- Dynamic Allocation of Shared IPv4 Addresses

Additional topics may only be added with approval from the responsible
Area Director or by re-chartering.

2. Develop documents that help explain operational considerations for
the wider community.

3. Issue updated versions of the DHCP base specifications--
RFC 3315 (DHCPv6), RFC 3633 (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation) and
RFC 3736 (Stateless DHCPv6) so as to fix errata and bring
the documents to the point where they can advance along the
IETF Standards Track.

4. In the process of updating the DHCP base specifications, in
cases where time is of the essence, issue corrections and
clarifications of the specifications in order to quickly address
interoperability problems.

5. Write analyses and interoperability reports on existing DHC
documents, including base specs.

6. When serious interoperability problems are found in other DHCP
specifications, issue updated versions of those specifications to
address the interoperability problems.