Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Comment on RFC6939 (Client Link-Layer Address Option)

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 23:12:13 +0000

Hello,

I would like to reboot this discussion from several weeks ago to present a new
approach. I am no longer wanting for the client to include a Client Link-Layer
Address Option (CLLAO) as I was saying previously, however I would like for
the server to echo the CLLAO supplied by the relay in its replies to the Client.
This behavior updates RFC6939 and introduces a new option for the Relay-
Supplied Options option (RSOO) per RFC6422.

See below for the draft announcement. All it is asking for now is:

  - IANA action to include CLLAO in registry of permissible options for RSOO
  - Update Section 7 of RFC6939 to permit clients to examine CLLAOs in the
    options received from servers.

Can we have this as a working group item?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Client Link-Layer Address Option (CLLAO) Updates
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-dhc-cllao-updates-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2015-03-03

Abstract:
   RFC6939 specifies a method for DHCPv6 relay agents to insert a Client
   Link Layer Address Option (CLLAO) in a DHCPv6 Relay-Forward message
   as informational material for the DHCPv6 server.  The server in turn
   is not required to echo the CLLAO back in its replies.  In some
   cases, however, the DHCPv6 client may be interested to receive the
   CLLAO, e.g., to determine if there are L2 devices (e.g., L2 proxies)
   that rewrite the link-layer address.  This document discusses updates
   to RFC6939 to allow the server to echo the CLLAO back to the client.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-dhc-cllao-updates/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-dhc-cllao-updates-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/