Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'Active DHCPv4 Lease Query' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:38:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Active DHCPv4 Lease Query'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery/

Technical Summary:

   The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) has been
   extended with a Leasequery capability that allows a client to request
   information about DHCPv4 bindings.  That mechanism is limited to
   queries for individual bindings.  In some situations individual
   binding queries may not be efficient, or even possible.  In addition,
   continuous update of an external client with Leasequery data is
   sometimes desired.  This document expands on the DHCPv4 Leasequery
   protocol, and allows for active transfer of near real-time DHCPv4
   address binding information data via TCP.

Working Group Summary:

   Active leasequery for DHCPv4 was initially proposed in 2010, but
   after 2 revisions it was abandoned due to lack of interest in the
   WG.  In 2013 active leasequery was proposed for DHCPv6 and received
   strong support in the WG. v6 version was presented in Vancouver
   (IETF88, Nov 2013) and one of the questions was whether WG is
   interested in its v4 equivalent. The strong consensus in the room
   (later confirmed on ML) was to have active leasequery for both
   DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 and thus the v4 draft was revived. As the
   principles are the same, this ended up in a somewhat unusually fast
   path. Cisco seems to have working implementation of this protocol,
   which is reflected in high maturity of the draft. 00 WG item 
   passed WGLC in March 2014. The -01 (June 2014) addresses all raised
   comments (all were minor). This work was somewhat stalled as its
   v6 equivalent required several updates. The latest v6 draft was
   approved in June 2015 and all the changes required to address IESG
   comments were applied to v4 (in version -04).

Document Quality:

   This document is of high quality. Personally, I think this is the
   result of several factors: the imlementation primary author is
   involved in has this mechanism implemented with actual deployments
   for serveral years, significant experience of its primary author
   and also the similarity to its DHCPv6 counter-part, which was
   recently approved by IESG. Author made extra care to apply all
   changes to both v4 and v6 drafts. I have reviewed -04 and
   think it is ready for publication. It is idnits clean.

Personnel:

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director?

   Tomek Mrugalski is the document shepherd. Brian Haberman is the
   responsible AD.