Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt

From: tianxiang li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:21:34 +0800

Hi All,

We have submitted a new version for Dhcpv6 Prefix Length Hint Issues draft.

In this version we discussed the problems of sending a new IAID to request
for a different prefix (requiring persistent storage of the different
IAIDs).
And how the client should include the prefix-length hint in the Dhcpv6
messages, avoiding the use of new IAIDs.

For Renew/Rebind,to request for a preferred prefix length, the client
should send a RENEW with the same IA_PD, and include two IA_PD Prefix
options, one containing the currently delegated prefix and the other
containing the prefix-length hint.

We discussed how the server, upon the receipt of Solicit, should interpret
differently whether the client wants the same prefix as before, or a prefix
of different length.

We also discussed in more detail the different options the servers could
choose from, when handling the prefix-length hint, and gave a more clear
definition of the prefix-length hint.

We hope to receive your comments regarding the draft and the issues
mentioned. Whether we've covered all the possible issues in the "problem
description" section, and whether the "proposed solutions" are feasible.

Best Regards,
Tianxiang

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 2015-10-12 9:31 GMT+08:00
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
To: Tianxiang Li <[email-masked]>, Yong Cui <
[email-masked]>, Cong Liu <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tianxiang Li and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue
Revision:       01
Title:          DHCPv6 Prefix Length Hint Issues
Document date:  2015-10-11
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          8
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-cui-dhc-dhcpv6-prefix-length-hint-issue-01

Abstract:
   DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation [RFC3633] allows a client to include a
   prefix-length hint value in the IA_PD option to indicate a preference
   for the size of the prefix to be delegated, but is unclear about how
   the client and server should act in different situations involving
   the prefix-length hint.  This document provides a summary of the
   existing problems with the prefix-length hint and guidance on what
   the client and server could do in different situations.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat