Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01.txt

From: Lishan Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:39:09 +0800

Dear all,

We have submitted a new version of the
draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01. Thanks very
much for the constructive comments from Sheng Jiang and Jinmei.
In this version, we have mainly made the following change:
1. restructure the document to clearly describe the mechanism;
2. emphasize the secure DHCPv6 mechanisms deployment difficulties;
3. correct some grammar mistakes and improper expressions.

Could you please review the draft? Comments are always welcome.

Thanks,
Lishan

-------- Forwarding messages --------
From: [email-masked]
Date: 2015-10-20 02:09:35
To:  "Lishan Li" <[email-masked]>,"Yong Cui" <
[email-masked]>,"Jianping Wu" <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Lishan Li and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment
Revision: 01
Title: Opportunistic Security for DHCPv6
Document date: 2015-10-19
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 7
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-li-dhc-secure-dhcpv6-deployment-01

Abstract:
   The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) enables
   DHCPv6 servers to configure network parameters.  To secure DHCPv6,
   the authentication and encryption mechanisms are proposed to protect
   the DHCPv6 privacy information.  However, how to deploy the secure
   DHCPv6 mechanisms for DHCPv6 is not specified.  This draft analyses
   the DHCPv6 threat model and recommend the opportunistic security
   mechanism for DHCPv6 deployment.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:20:32 -0700

At Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:39:09 +0800,

> 3. correct some grammar mistakes and improper expressions.

Just from a very quick scan, it has the same issue I raised for the
previous version:

   TOFU plays a role in the scenario where the DHCPv6 client is mobile
   and connects to random networks.

Referring to "random networks" in the case for TOFU (for
authentication) will be controversial at best, and IMHO even
problematic; not using the term "coffee shop" doesn't address the main
point.  There might be a minor niche where this combination makes
sense, but that will require more detailed discussions on the
underlying assumptions.  Perhaps your primary focus is to use TOFU
mainly for encryption rather than authentication?  If so, it would be
better to clarify the intent and discuss it accordingly.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya