Subject: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 09:44:49 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) bis
        Authors         : Tomek Mrugalski
                          Marcin Siodelski
                          Bernie Volz
                          Andrew Yourtchenko
                          Michael C. Richardson
                          Sheng Jiang
                          Ted Lemon
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-03.txt
	Pages           : 127
	Date            : 2016-02-02

Abstract:
   This document describes the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
   IPv6 (DHCPv6): an extensible mechanism for configuring hosts with
   network configuration parameters, IP addresses, and prefixes.
   Parameters can be provided statelessly, or in combination with
   stateful assignment of one or more IPv6 addresses and/or IPv6
   prefixes.  DHCPv6 can operate either in place of or in addition to
   stateless address autoconfiguration (SLAAC).

   This document updates the text from RFC 3315, the original DHCPv6
   specification, and incorporates the stateless DHCPv6 extensions (RFC
   3736) and prefix delegation (RFC 3633), clarifying the interactions
   between these modes of operation (RFC 7550) and providing a mechanism
   for throttling DHCPv6 clients when DHCPv6 service is not available
   (RFC 7083).  As such, this document obsoletes RFC3315, RFC3633,
   RFC3736, RFC7083, RFC7550.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:55:48 +0100

Hi,

A new revision of the rfc3315bis has been published. It addresses
several of the issues raised. If you are interested, we maintain
Appendix A with notable changes. Here's what has changed since -02:

57.  Reorganized text about Reply processing on the client side	
     (ticket #140).	
		 		
58.  Revised the "Creation and Transmission of Release Messages"	
     section to clarify what a client must do before initiating a	
     Release (ticket #151).	
		 		
59.  Privacy considerations added (ticket #145).	
		 		
60.  Abstract updated (#133).	
		 		
61.  Removed references to the text that server was allowed to cache	
     its replies (#80).

If you are interested in background of those changes, feel free to visit
(and comment in!) our issue tracker here:
https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ You can also see the open
tickets there. Their number is going down steadily, but we still have 17
open tickets to go. If there are things that bother you in DHCPv6 and
the new draft doesn't address them, feel free to discuss them on
dhcpv6bis list.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to this effort.

Tomek

p.s.
There's an upcoming dhcpv6bis authors meeting tomorrow at 14:00 CET.
Details were posted to the dhcpv6bis list if you're interested.

On 02.02.2016 18:44, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
>