Subject: [dhcwg] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:55:17 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-07: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for producing this document. It's important. I do have a couple
of observations for you to consider.

In this text:

   We can also
   assume that privacy conscious users will attempt to evade this
   monitoring, for example by ensuring that low level identifiers such
   as link-layer addresses are "randomized," so that the devices do not
   broadcast a unique identifier in every location that they visit.
   
it would be clearer to me if it said "broadcast the same unique
identifier".

I really like 

   Declaring a preference for
   anonymity is a bit like walking around with a Guy Fawkes mask.
   
but I do wonder if that's accessible for a global audience. Is there a
reference, or a short explanation that would work?

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:50:54 +0000

> it would be clearer to me if it said "broadcast the same unique

OK, will fix in next edit.

> reference, or a short explanation that would work?

We could certainly add a pointer to the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask. Or maybe to one of the print articles that the page references, e.g. http://theweek.com/articles/463151/brief-history-guy-fawkes-mask. Any preference?

-- Christian Huitema