Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'Anonymity profile for DHCP clients' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 07:09:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Anonymity profile for DHCP clients'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-anonymity-profile/

Technical Summary: 

This document specifies an anonymity profile for DHCP clients to remain
as anonymous as possible on visited networks.

Working Group Summary: 

This document is an answer to the privacy considerations raised in
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-privacy and draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-privacy with respect
to DHCPv4 and DHCPv6, respectively. The profile provides guidelines on the
composition of DHCP or DHCPv6 requests, designed to minimize disclosure of
identifying information.

Document Quality: 

This document has had thorough reviews by many interested and
knowledgeable folks (beyond those mentioned in the acknowledgements
section). There were no significant points of difficulty or
controversy with the contents of the document.

Microsoft did a prototype implementation and reported great results (see
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-dhc-1.pdf).

Personnel: 

Bernie Volz is the document shepherd. Brian Haberman is the responsible AD.