Subject: PP2: Application Area Advice on use of Web and XML; energy conservation

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:27:59 -0800

PP2

Position Paper

Yoshifumi Atarashi ([email-masked])
Hiroyasu Kimura ([email-masked])
         ALAXLA Networks Corp.

We are netconf system developers and contributors of netconf/NGO in  
the OPS area. Now, OPS area people want to make new Network  
Manegement System protocol suites based on XML. These include SNMP,  
MIB and SMI. A few years ago, when netconf wg started, we wanted to  
use application technologies supporting XML. It was the main reason  
for the XML choice. But almost OPS area people couldn't use Web  
service technology. Now they are making an original protocol using  
only XML format. But we are thinking netconf system using Web service  
implementations. So we suggest some isses about collaboration APP  
area and other area.

Problem of using application technology in other areas:
  - don't understand how to use Web technology/XML technology
  - don't understand application system overview and direction/ 
architecture of new network services systems

The evolution of application services is faster than network services  
and operations. So we can accelerate low layer network system  
development by using application technology.  And also by using the  
same technology, we can think of new services involving application  
and network cooperation. For example, applications demanding QoS,  
security system using network control from application, on-demand  
filtering system and so on. For such occations, we have to study  
application technologies and  their implementation techniques with  
some concept and architecture.

Therefore we think that APP area people can write infomational RFC  
for collaboration with other areas.
- How to use and implement web technology/XML technology systems   
(http, soap, apache, axis, etc.)
- How to make XML base protocols and implementations  (If needed,  
think extension of soap/http/XML base protocol for realtime mechanism. )
- New generation Internet architecture (IPv6, security, QoS ...) from  
the APP area viewpoint.

We think these items contribute towards the "Wild Success" of APP  
area's works.

In addition, as network products engineers, we consider the effect of  
application protocols on energy conservation. We think application  
protocols behavior are very important for router and switch's energy  
saving.  Routers and switches often decrease performance or sleep for  
short times for energy manegement, if it is implemented in network  
products.  So some application protocols may come under the influence  
of packet drop or delay.  If needed, we have to think up application  
protocol extensions for energy conservation.