Subject: this list is moving and being renamed as [email-masked]

From: James Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:19:00 -0500

The IESG has decided that all ietf.org mailing lists should be in 
the ietf.org domain.  In almost all cases this decision has no 
effect and is invisible for all practical purposes.  IETF hosted 
mailing lists have always been valid in the ietf.org domain 
regardless of their sub-domain.

This mailing list is one of the very few exceptions, caused in 
large part by the fact that the apps.ietf.org domain has been 
delegated and hosted off-site, but the mailing lists were never 
really delegated.  In addition, the new infrastructure enforces 
virtual domains while the old infrastructure did not.  In 
combination, these two facts are what caused the discuss list to 
fail after the cut-over.

We are aware that some mailing lists, this one included, are listed 
in RFCs and other formal documents.  For these lists backwards 
compatibility will be maintained.

This list has the additional problem of being named "discuss", 
which was not a problem in the apps.ietf.org domain but is too 
generic for use in the ietf.org domain.  Therefore, this list will 
be renamed as apps-discuss.

The old archives will be left in place.  The new archives will be 
created and maintained by Mailman, although they will not be 
accessible for a short while.

The IETF has historically managed its own archives for its mailing 
lists.  This means we have home-grown scripts for creating the text 
archives and the web archives.  The web archive script uses MHonArc.

We are going to migrate all IETF hosted mailing lists to use the 
Mailman archive system, leaving all old archives intact.  Until 
that change takes place, Mailman only archives will be 
inaccessible.  We expect this change to take place within the next 
2-3 weeks.  Please be patient about accessing the archives until 
that time.

All subscribers of [email-masked] will be moved to 
[email-masked].  A notice will be sent to the new list as 
soon as the move is complete.  This change will take place later 
today.  You may want to update any filters you have that depend on 
this information now.

For those who "remember" their Mailman password for the discuss 
mailing list, you will need to set a new password for the 
apps-discuss list using the usual Mailman process, after the new 
list is operational

Thanks,

Jim

---

From: James Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:18:32 -0500

We've been asked to wait a few days before actually doing the 
cut-over.  The cut-over has been scheduled for Friday, 29 February.

Jim

-- On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:19 AM -0500 James Galvin 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding this list is moving and 
being renamed as [email-masked] --

> We are aware that some mailing lists, this one included, are
> listed in RFCs and other formal documents.  For these lists
> backwards compatibility will be maintained.
>
> generic for use in the ietf.org domain.  Therefore, this list
> will be renamed as apps-discuss.
>
> The IETF has historically managed its own archives for its
> mailing lists.  This means we have home-grown scripts for
> creating the text archives and the web archives.  The web archive
> script uses MHonArc.
>
> inaccessible.  We expect this change to take place within the
> next 2-3 weeks.  Please be patient about accessing the archives
> until that time.
>
> today.  You may want to update any filters you have that depend
> on this information now.
>

---

From: James Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:37:32 -0500

This list will be cut-over from [email-masked] to 
[email-masked] at 2200 UTC on Friday, 29 February.

There will be no visible change in the archive and it will remain 
accessible.

Messages to the old address will be forwarded to the new address 
but folks should use the new address after the cut-over.

I will announce when the cut-over has been completed.

Jim

-- On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:18 AM -0500 James Galvin 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re: this list is moving 
and being renamed as [email-masked] --

> <[email-masked]> wrote regarding this list is moving
> and being renamed as [email-masked] --
>
> > The IESG has decided that all ietf.org mailing lists should be
> > in the ietf.org domain.  In almost all cases this decision has
> > no effect and is invisible for all practical purposes.  IETF
> > hosted mailing lists have always been valid in the ietf.org
> > domain regardless of their sub-domain.
> >
> > The old archives will be left in place.  The new archives will
> > be created and maintained by Mailman, although they will not be
> > creating the text archives and the web archives.  The web
> > archive script uses MHonArc.
> >