Subject: Re: Schedule for remote operations work

From: Kenneth White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:02:45 -0400

---------------------- Forwarded by Kenneth White/Raleigh/IBM on 09/03/98 08:57
PM ---------------------------

Kenneth White
09/03/98 08:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
cc:
From: Kenneth White/Raleigh/IBM @ IBMUS
Subject: Re: Schedule for remote operations work

Juergen,

>I do agree with statement 1) and 2), but I am confused by the wordings
>at the start of your message. For me, the remote operations work
>within DISMAN is the Script MIB.

The consensus of the working group meeting in Chicago was to allow
the work of a dedicated MIB for ping and traceroute. It is thought that
there is actually a need for both a dedicated MIB approach as well
as hard-wired scripts.

><draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-01.txt.gz> defines a ping/traceroute MIB
>and we should stop calling this baby a "remote operations" MIB.

As a result of the discussion in Chicago I added a dnsLookup capability so the
MIB is actually
more then ping and traceroute. Do we really need to debate the name?

Ken

---

From: David Levi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 10:28:39 -0400

> more then ping and traceroute. Do we really need to debate the name?

I agree with Juergen, the name 'remote operations' is a bit broad for
this mib.  If nothing else, the name isn't really descriptive of what
the mib provides, and so somebody looking for a mib for doing ping
or traceroute remotely might have a bit of trouble finding this
document.

-Dave

---

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:07:59 -0400

> more then ping and traceroute. Do we really need to debate the name?

I agree with Juergen on this one. Let's name this MIB according to
its explicit functionality. "Remote operations" doesn't imply that
it specifically supports ping/traceroute/dnslookup. Naming it this
broadly leaves its contents and purpose open to reinterpretation and 
it could turn into a creeping-feature tarbaby.

dbh
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------
#include <std.disclaimer> 
David Harrington  [email-masked] 
Spectrum Network Management Platform Core Group
Cabletron Systems Inc. 
-----------------------------------------------------