Subject: Re: Schedule for remote operations work

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:51:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:07:59 -0400
> From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
> To: Kenneth White <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Schedule for remote operations work
> References: <5040300019982934000002L042*@MHS>
...
> I agree with Juergen on this one. Let's name this MIB according to
> its explicit functionality. "Remote operations" doesn't imply that
> it specifically supports ping/traceroute/dnslookup. Naming it this
> broadly leaves its contents and purpose open to reinterpretation and 
> it could turn into a creeping-feature tarbaby.
...

This is almost as much fun as the discussion in the Chicago of what
name to give the language in which MIB modules are specified.  I'd like
to see some specific suggestions, or the next revision will be called
<draft-ietf-disman-tarbaby-00.txt>

Why was this not an issue when we were discussing adding the work to
the charter?

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Levi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 12:38:28 -0400

> <draft-ietf-disman-tarbaby-00.txt>

How about "Ping and Traceroute MIB", and draft-ietf-disman-pingtrace-00.txt

-Dave

---

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:20:56 -0400

> How about "Ping and Traceroute MIB", and draft-ietf-disman-pingtrace-00.txt

Either that or "Ping and Traceroute Script MIB" or
"Distributed Ping and Traceroute MIB"

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------
#include <std.disclaimer> 
David Harrington  [email-masked] 
Spectrum Network Management Platform Core Group
Cabletron Systems Inc. 
-----------------------------------------------------