Subject: schedule MIB: LastFailed and LocalTime question

From: Ron Sprenkels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:33:16 +0200

Hi,

I noted that:
 o schedLocalTime is in the calendarGroup, and therefore only mandatory
   for implementations that support calendar based schedules.
 o schedLastFailed is always mandatory, and its syntax allowes 8-octet
   values to be returned, that is, without the offset to UTC in it.

For an implementation that:
 - doesn't implement the calendarGroup (so no localTime object), and
 - returns 8 octet values for lastFailed,
the returned value of lastFailed will in my opinion be meaningless. The
manager has no means to relate the retrieved value to the manager's notion
of local time.

I see two possible solutions:

1. Move schedLastFailed from schedGroup to schedCalendarGroup in the
   compliance section, and define schedLastFailed to have no meaning
   for implementations that do not implement the CalendarGroup.

2. Define schedLastFailed to be of SYNTAX DateAndTime (SIZE (11))

regards,

Ron.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Sprenkels  [email-masked]   http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~sprenkel
University of Twente, Department of Computer Science, TSS Management group 
P.O. Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands.    (Tel. +31 53 489 4663)

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:37:19 +0200

>>>>> Ron Sprenkels writes:

Ron> o schedLastFailed is always mandatory, and its syntax allowes
Ron> 8-octet values to be returned, that is, without the offset to UTC
Ron> in it.

My copy of draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-05.txt says:

   schedLastFailed OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      DateAndTime
       MAX-ACCESS  read-only
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
           "The date and time when the most recent failure occured. The
            value '0000000000000000'H is returned if no failure occured
            since the last re-initialization of the scheduler."
       DEFVAL { '0000000000000000'H }
       ::= { schedEntry 18 }

schedLastFailed uses the DateAndTime TC without any sub-typing. It is
therefore legal to use the 11 byte format. An implementation which has
access to the time zone information will certainly use the long format.
The default value uses the 8 byte format because this is shorter and a
time zone would not make sense in this case.
							Juergen

Juergen Schoenwaelder  [email-masked] http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3289)