Subject: Revised proposed disman charter

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:46:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

After incorporating Bert's helpful feedback,
here's the proposed updated disman WG charter.
Bert will be taking this to the IESG for approval.
As always, comments are welcome.

Description of Working Group:

   The Distributed Management Working Group is chartered to define an
   initial set of managed objects for specific distributed network
   management applications which can be consistently developed and
   deployed.  A distributed network manager is an applicaton that acts
   in a manager role to perform management functions and in an agent
   role so that it can be remotely controlled and observed.

   Distributed network management is widely recognized as a requirement
   for dealing with today's growing internets. A manager application is
   a good candidate for distribution if it requires minimal user
   interaction, it would potentially consume a significant amount of
   network resources due to frequent polling or large data retrieval, or
   it requires close association with the device(s) being managed.

   The working group will limit its work to distributed network management
   applications where the main communication mechanism for monitoring
   and control is SNMP. Future work (and other working groups) may be
   chartered to investigate other distribution techniques such as CORBA
   or HTTP. The objects defined by the working group will be consistent
   with the SNMP architecture defined in RFC 2571. The working group
   will especially keep security considerations in mind when defining
   the interface to distributed management.

   The working group will complete these tasks:

   Define a Scheduling MIB

   Define a Script MIB

   Define a Remote Operations MIB

   Define an Expression and Event MIB to support Threshold Monitoring

   Define a Notification Log MIB

   Define an Alarm MIB

   The working group will consider existing definitions, including:

   o the RMON working group's work in this area

   o the Application MIB (RFC 2564), SysAppl MIB (RFC 2287) and
     related standards.

   The work on the Alarm MIB will take into consideration existing
   standards and practices, such as ITU-T X.733.  Whether any mappings to
   these other standards appear in the Alarm MIB or in separate documents
   will be decided by the WG.  The WG will actively seek participation
   from ITU participants to make ensure that the ITU work is correctly
   understood.

   It is recognized that the scope of this working group is narrow
   relative to the potential in the area of distributed network
   management. This is intentional in order to increase the likelihood
   of producing useful, quality specifications in a timely manner.
   However, we will keep in mind and account for potential related or
   future work including:

   o Event and alarm logging and distribution

   o Historical data collection/summarization

   o Topology discovery

-----

Additions to Goals and Milestones:

     February 2001: WG agreement on direction regarding mappings
                    to / from other alarm frameworks.

     February 2001: submit updated Script and Schedule MIBs
                    to IESG.

(remove the nov 99 target for these documents)

     February 2001: Submit updated draft of Alarm MIB for IETF meeting.

     March 2001: decision on question of whether recycle to Log MIB.

     July 2001: Submit updated draft of Alarm MIB for IETF meeting.

     August 2001: WG last call on Alarm Management MIB.

     September 2001: Alarm Management MIB delivered to IESG for
                consideration as proposed standard.

     October 2001:  call for implementation experience and updates
     to the remote operations MIB.

     October 2001: call for implementation experience and updates
     to the Event and Expression MIBs.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------