Subject: RE: Request for addition to disman WG charter

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:45:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bert -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: Request for addition to disman WG charter
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:42:55 +0100
> 
> Randy, in principle I am OK with adding this work item to the WG
> charter. I also see there are two new I-Ds for script and schedule mib.
> And... there was discussion on the issue of a possible need to
> recycle notif log mib as a result of performance issues. I undestand
> that this was just a possibility.... but it needs discussion and/or work.
> 
> So... I would like to see a complete writeup of the charter that
> includes all these work items, and that also lists milestones for
> decisions on all these items.
> 
> Once I have that, I need to check with IESG/IAB for approval of
> adding the new work item (I expect no problems, but I want
> to make sure we follow the process properly.
> 
> So... while you and I work out the admon/process details, the
> other volunteers can start working on their tasks as well.
> 
> OK?
...

Ok.  Here's updated charter text, based on your feedback and
the proposed new work items.  Let me know whether this meets
your needs.

Description of Working Group:

   The Distributed Management Working Group is chartered to define an
   initial set of managed objects for specific distributed network
   management applications and a framework in which these applications
   and others can be consistently developed and deployed. A distributed
   network manager is an applicaton that acts in a manager role to
   perform management functions and in an agent role so that it can be
   remotely controlled and observed.

   Distributed network management is widely recognized as a requirement
   for dealing with today's growing internets. A manager application is
   a good candidate for distribution if it requires minimal user
   interaction, it would potentially consume a significant amount of
   network resources due to frequent polling or large data retrieval, or
   it requires close association with the device(s) being managed.

   The working group will limit its work to distributed network
   management applications where the main communication mechanism for
   monitoring and control is SNMP. Future work (and other working
   groups) may be chartered to investigate other distribution techniques
   such as CORBA or HTTP. The objects defined by the working group will
   be consistent with the SNMP framework. The working group will
   especially keep security considerations in mind when defining the
   interface to distributed management.

   The working group will complete these tasks:

   Define a Scheduling MIB

   Define a Script MIB

   Define a Remote Operations MIB

   Define a Threshold Monitoring MIB

   Define a Notification Log MIB

   Define an Alarm MIB

   The working group will consider existing definitions, including:

   o RFC1451, The Manager to Manager MIB which was being considered by
   the SNMPv2 working group

   o the RMON working group's work in this area

   o the SNMP Mid-Level-Manager MIB which is now an expired
   Internet-Draft

   o the work of the Application MIB working group

   The work on the Alarm MIB will take into consideration existing
   standards and practices, such as ITU-T X.733.  Whether any
   mappings to these other standards appear in the Alarm MIB or
   in separate documents will be decided by the WG.

   It is recognized that the scope of this working group is narrow
   relative to the potential in the area of distributed network
   management. This is intentional in order to increase the likelihood
   of producing useful, quality specifications in a timely manner.
   However, we will keep in mind and account for potential related or
   future work when developing the framework including:

   o Event and alarm logging and distribution

   o Historical data collection/summarization

   o Topology discovery

-----

Additions to Goals and Milestones:

     February 2001: WG agreement on direction regarding mappings
                    to / from other alarm frameworks.

     February 2001: submit updated Script and Schedule MIBs
                    to IESG

     February 2001: Submit updated draft of Alarm MIB for IETF meeting.
  
     March 2001: Meet at the 50th IETF in Minneapolis, Minnesota

     March 2001: decision on question of whether recycle Log MIB

     July 2001: Submit updated draft of Alarm MIB for IETF meeting.
  
     August 2001: Meet at 51st IETF in London, England
  
     August 2001: WG last call on Alarm Management MIB
  
     September 2001: Alarm Management MIB delivered to IESG for
                consideration as proposed standard.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------