Subject: Re: terminology clarification

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:47:03 +0100

>>>>> David T Perkins writes:

David> It appears to me that there needs to be a little clarification
David> on terminology before progress can be made. Note that different
David> management systems have different meanings for the following
David> terms. However, in SNMP, here is what I believe each term
David> means:

David> notification - this is a unsolicited message from an "SNMP
David> entity" to a manager. (It can be a TRAP, a v2TRAP, or INFORM.)

David> event - an occurrence of something. This can be a state (or
David> status) change, the crossing of a threshold, or an external
David> input to the system

David> An SNMP notification message can be used to let a manager know
David> that an event has occurred. Alternatively, a manager can poll
David> an agent to determine if an event has occured.

David> Alarm - a term that is not yet part of the formal SNMP
David> terminology.

David> What I, and it looks like many others would like, is the
David> following definition of alarm:

David> Alarm - a persistent error or warning condition. An Alarm is a
David> "level" and not an "edge". However, the start (SET) of an Alarm
David> condition is an event, and the termination (CLEAR) of an Alarm
David> condition is also an event. Because the start and termination
David> are events, it is appropriate that an SNMP notification be used
David> to let a manager know that the start or termination of an Alarm
David> has occured.

For what its worth: I fully agree with this view of the world.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: "Huynh, An-Ni (Anni)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:22:45 -0500

I share this view too.

Anni

> ----------
> From: 	Juergen Schoenwaelder[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Monday, February 05, 2001 8:47 AM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	Re: terminology clarification
>
>
>
> >>>>> David T Perkins writes:
>