Subject: [Disman] SG 4 re IETF Alarm MIB

From: "Dave Sidor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:45:01 -0500

Subject: SG 4 re IETF Alarm MIB
From: "Dave Sidor" <[email-masked]>
To: "*Presuhn, Randy" <[email-masked]>, "*Wijnen, Bert" <[email-masked]>, "*Bush, Randy" <[email-masked]>, "*IETF, communication statements" <[email-masked]>, "*List, IETF disman WG" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "*Choe, Young-Han" <[email-masked]>, "*McGrath, Mairead" <[email-masked]>, "*Pontailler, Catherine" <[email-masked]>, "*Raman, Lakshmi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:30:40 -0500

Bert, Randy, Randy,

Provided below and also attached as a Word file is a SG 4 liaison
regarding the IETF Alarm MIB. As suggested by the liaison, we are
pleased with the results of our interactions and hope to continue them
to the mutual benefit of both the IETF and ITU-T.

Dave Sidor
Chair, SG 4

------------------------

INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATION UNION		       STUDY GROUP 4
TELECOMMUNICATION
STANDARDIZATION SECTOR
STUDY PERIOD 2001-2004				TD 78 (Rev.2) (PLEN)

Question(s):	Q12/4, Q17/4, Q19/4		5 - 14 February 2003

				TEMPORARY DOCUMENT

Source:		Study Group 4
Title:		Liaison on Alarm MIB
				
				LIAISON STATEMENT

To:		IETF disman WG chair (Randy Presuhn)
		IETF Area Directors for Operations and Management 
		(Bert Wijnen, Randy Bush)
		IETF email address for liaison statements

Approval:	SG4
For:		Information
Deadline:	
Contact:	Pontailler, C.
		Alcatel
		France		
		Tel: + 33 2 96 04 81 08
		Fax: + 33 2 96 04 83 00
		Email: [email-masked]

We thank you very much for having sent us information about the IETF
disman WG alarm MIB and appreciate very much the work done in this
specification, as well as the presentations which were done during the
SG4 meeting, February, 2003.

We're encouraging consistency between all alarm management specification
work.

We've seen that the IETF alarm MIB has addressed concerns previously
sent by ITU-T, and encourage any further cooperation.
 
We've noted several points for further consideration and where future
cooperation would be beneficial

- Additional fields such as recommended actions, qualifiers
- Alarm model methodology definition via a generic and multi-purpose
definition instead of the current explanations based only on examples.

We're looking forward for further collaboration aiming at consistency
between alarm management standards, with respect to the goal of
producing alarm management standards of value to all network
technologies.
_______________________