Subject: [Disman] Remops vs IPv6

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:41:44 -0800

Hi -

Does anyone care to respond to these comments in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-00.txt
?

Randy

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

5.103 RFC 2925 Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote
      Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations

This MIB mostly is IPv4 and IPv6 aware.  There are a few
assumptions that are problems thought.  In the following OIDs:

 pingCtlDataSize OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (0..65507)
    UNITS       "octets"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Specifies the size of the data portion to be
        transmitted in a ping operation in octets.  A ping
        request is usually an ICMP message encoded
        into an IP packet.  An IP packet has a maximum size
        of 65535 octets.  Subtracting the size of the ICMP
        or UDP header (both 8 octets) and the size of the IP
        header (20 octets) yields a maximum size of 65507
        octets."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { pingCtlEntry 5 }

 traceRouteCtlDataSize OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (0..65507)
    UNITS       "octets"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Specifies the size of the data portion of a traceroute
        request in octets.  A traceroute request is essentially
        transmitted by encoding a UDP datagram into a
        IP packet. So subtracting the size of a UDP header
        (8 octets) and the size of a IP header (20 octets)
        yields a maximum of 65507 octets."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { traceRouteCtlEntry 6 }

There is clearly an assumption of IPv4 header sizes.