Subject: RE: [Disman] ituAlarmGenericModel is redundant?

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:17:38 -0500

Hi

The following is the proposed resolution to Randy-68  Assuming no 
objection, this item will be considered closed conditional on the 
proposed edit being done.

In the description of ituAlarmGenericModel 
      "This object points to the corresponding
      row in the alarmModelTable for this alarm severity."

With
      "This object points to the corresponding
      row in the alarmModelTable for this alarm severity.

      This corresponding entry to alarmModelTable could also
      be derived by performing the reverse of the mapping
      from alarmModelState to ituAlarmPerceivedSeverity defined 
      in the description of ituAlarmEntry to determine the 
      appropriate { alarmListName, alarmModelIndex, alarmModelState }
      for this { alarmListName, alarmModelIndex, 
      ituAlarmPerceivedSeverity }."

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 6:48 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]; Disman (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Disman] ituAlarmGenericModel is redundant?

Hi -

> From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Disman (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 12:05 PM
> Subject: RE: [Disman] ituAlarmGenericModel is redundant?
..
> Well, the object may be redundant but technically it's not really a 
> duplicate. It's a reasonable compromise though. Documenting that 
> technically this information could be derived from other sources is 
> reasonable and may be helpful for people less familiar with SNMP. Most 
> of my complaints of the "efficiencies" we do in SNMP is that they are 
> often at the expense of the understanding of less experienced users.
...

Ok, so If I understand the latest proposal for mapping between ITU and
generic alarm models, then for a given instance { ituAlarmGenericModel x y z
}, its value will always be { alarmModelNotificationId x y z}, where "x" is
the length and value of the list name, "y" is the integer index, and "z" is
the severity level. Did I get it right? If this is how it's supposed to
work, we just need to explain in the description how this adds value.

Randy

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:17:38 -0500

Hi

With

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 6:48 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:0S00:EXCH]; Disman (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Disman] ituAlarmGenericModel is redundant?

Hi -

..
...

Randy