Subject: [Disman] RFC 3165 and RFC 3231 implementation reports

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:00:29 +0200

A long time has passed since Randy posted his request for implementation
reports. I am sorry for being so late to followup on this.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:43:52 -0700

>>>>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:00:29 +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> said:

Juergen> The SNMP engine used for this application does not provide an
Juergen> easy way to record the credentials during the processing of a
Juergen> set request. Hence, the implementation cheats to some extend
Juergen> by guessing credentials, which of course is not a good thing
Juergen> to do. It is unclear whether newer versions of NET-SNMP would
Juergen> allow to handle this correctly.

FYI, the version you mentioned (5.1.1) does provide APIs for accessing
the security credentials.  You're likely using the older (CMU style)
API set, which has no nice interface to the packet credentials.
However, even given that there is a work around (not-advertised
because it's better for people to use the better MIB APIs if
possible).  Let me know if you want further information.  EG, the
event mib implementation properly records authentication information
(and is written using the older APIs as well).

-- 
"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
 and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett