Subject: Re: [Diversity] Anti-harassment procedures - next version

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:17:43 +0100

Bonjour, Ni Hao, and Hallo,
(greatings used in some IETF individuals meeting :-)

IMHO the draft should encourage and recommend progress in WGs and
progress between participants social skills problems (may be in
introduction). If we replace shooting style/behavior with forgiveness
style/behavior, then such participation style will help progress for
more people politely setting their output tone or messages. Therefore
more IETF input participation and diversity.

Adding section related to Assisting Subject and Respondent :

AB> the draft may need some thing that helps both sides, as assistance
in their plans and thoughts while they are in such situation. The
Ombudsperson may need volunteers (close friends to both sides) to help
reduce the HEAT. Please note that Subject MAY call the police, which
we may not prefer because we MAY be able to solve the issues
internally in IETF. Therefore, having a section to promote internal
volunteering within IETF makes us more social and more proactive.

Adding suggestion into draft:

under (5.Remedies):

AB>suggest to add text>
If the decision was to give the respondent full activity rights, then
the respondent MUST apologies in public to the subject and to the
community of such possible harassment. This will help the main goal of
anti-harassment which is that all work together within healthy
environment to encourage participation and diversity.

under (5.Remedies):

The draft paragraph>
   However, the Ombudsperson has ultimate
   responsibility for the choice of remedy.

 AB>discussing> the Ombudsperson SHOULD consider and to discuss the
subject request remedies to get better results of his/her final
Ombudsperson remedy choice, as how to make both (subject and
respondent) in future be able to work with each other and forgive each
other and how to help the Internet-community/Internet-societies to
work with both of them. The aim of Ombudsperson remedy choices is to
consider the IETF vision, diversity and objectives but also to protect
subjects to any such harassment objects within IETF and in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that I was requested by the author to post/share my
thoughts in the IETF list to make it in one place. However, I prefere
the diversity list so I send a copy to it as well.

Salam,
(my personal used greating :-)

AB

On 3/7/14, Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Adding suggestions;
>
> Under (5. Remedies):
>
> AB/ text suggest/add/
> If there is any remaining harassment message or record (which is publicly
> evidence) after the reported attack and the decision made by IETF, then
> the related harassment object MUST be removed/destroyed from IETF public
> access and MAY be saved in private data base of the IETF.
>
>
> Please note that I was requested by the author to post in the IETF my
> comments.
>
> Regards
> AB
>