Subject: [Diversity] Native English speaker, English language, and English organisation

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 20:16:11 +0000

Hi all,

There is subject running in IETF discussion list as: IETF working language
(started today), does IETF select English language for work so that it can
insult who don't use it in one method. The majority will formulate the
language of IETF, I believe some day the discussion language will be more
flexible.

I remember that some Africans were taken from their own land to go to
America to WORK and they were forced to speak the English language, but
still they used the English language in a different way or style. Still
many understood the Africans' English. I use the English language in my
best effort in UK and many say my language is very good and understood. The
IETF English is not the native English, it is a special English developed
by its users and hope managers of IETF accept all world speakers.

We need native speakers to be more understanding and more helpful to
encourage others to speak. I believe there are many quite because they know
that majority are native English speakers. Still the environment is not
encouraging more diversity.

Yes most meetings of IETF is in North America but I prefer if it is in
Europe. Please note that this issue will be reported in an I-D and analysed
to promote more diversity in using English or using other languages in our
work.

Regards

AB

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 05:15:55 +0000

The below is work in progress for an I-D about ; IETF work language. You
may comment on any text/idea.

Title: IETF work language and documents.
Dated: 09.03.2014
Author: Abdussalam Baryun

Abstract:
The IETF language includes all participants language but officially the
only language used is English language which is used in its documents.
However, its discussions and work in progress items may not be in English
language. (The abstract is not completed).

1. Introduction:

IETF is not an English organisation, but IETF may have some English
speakers, may have native English speakers groups/organisation, and may
have other speaking language organisations.

I was happy when the DT made translation of the Note Well to different
languages. That is a good progress, for freeing IETF from forcing one
language on participants if the participants want to engage in IETF work
equally with all.

I don't think we are forced officially to write/read in English in
all I-Ds, we are only forced to write abstract and title and other policy
statement in English, the content can be in French, Chinese, Spanish,
etc.  I hope all authors remember that giving some translation within their
versions submitted can help their work be used better world wide.

Regards
AB

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 10:54:47 -0700

For as much as I would like to have drafts, discussions and RFCs in other
languages the idea is not plausible nor practical for now.

I would suggest going something in between like the LACNOG community has
done. Set up a list were some IETF topics are discussed in Spanish, a
pre-virtual-meeting where authors can present and discuss their drafts
before the IETF.

Regards,
as

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Abdussalam Baryun <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> There is subject running in IETF discussion list as: IETF working
>> language (started today), does IETF select English language for work so
>> that it can insult who don't use it in one method. The majority will
>> formulate the language of IETF, I believe some day the discussion language
>> will be more flexible.
>>
> _______________________________________________
> diversity mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diversity
>
>

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:55:00 +0000

Hi Arturo,

Thanks for your input and suggestions, I will consider that in the I-D.

> languages the idea is not plausible nor practical for now.

I think there are already discussions and groups with other languages, but
not on lists or meetings. Those input discussions make many I-Ds. I agree
that RFCs stays with only one language that the IETF selects/agrees.

> done.

Agree

> Set up a list were some IETF topics are discussed in Spanish, a

I agree that it will be productive and helpful for non native
speakers/writers, but I want to add some times ideas come into Spanish
writer if posted to IETF WG list it can be translated into the draft in
English. If editors are Spanish it is practical.

If we have editors that have more than one language then we may have more
inputs on the list that can be translated into draft in English.

AB