Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Expectation Setting for draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-01

From: Todd Herr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:04:34 -0400

Greetings.

As Seth mentioned in a previous email, updated I-Ds for discussion will be
updated in the next day or so.

Prior to my uploading draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-01, I want to make sure
that everyone understands what work has been done, what hasn't been done
yet, and what the document's status is.

First, and most importantly, *draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-01 is proposed
text, nothing more, nothing less*. I fully expect that there will be lots
of discussion about it, and multiple subsequent revisions produced between
now and its (hopefully) eventual adoption sometime in the future.

All changes between -00 and -01 (which should be obviously reflected in the
'rfcdiff' output function on datatracker) have as their genesis one or more
tickets, and the source ticket for the change has been noted in the
document. What this means is that throughout the document there are
notations like this:

_Ticket X_ (or _Tickets X, Y and Z_)

One or more paragraphs of text that were either modified due to the
ticket(s) mentioned or created due to that ticket....

All changes were also tracked in several other fashions:

   - Updates to the associated ticket in datatracker
   - Pull requests in github -
   https://github.com/ietf-wg-dmarc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis
   - A temporary Appendix C noting changes that were made.

The tickets in question for this rev that were worked during the design
team period all currently have a status of 'infoneeded'. There is a custom
report available in datatracker that will show just these tickets -
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/report/14

There are a number of tickets that have not yet been addressed, save
perhaps for some comments added. We expect that they will be dealt with in
time.

Finally, a request...

Going forward, in an attempt to make life easier on your editors, we ask
that when starting a discussion thread for which some part of the document
text is the topic, whether existing text or proposed new text, please
include the relevant ticket number(s) in the subject line. If there isn't a
relevant ticket, please open one before starting discussion. Having the
ticket number in the subject line makes it much easier for editors to map
discussions and their eventual rough consensus to document changes.

Notification of document upload to datatracker will come later today.

-- 

*Todd Herr* | Sr. Technical Program Manager
*e:* [email-masked]
*m:* 703.220.4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.