Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Tree walk is screwed up

From: Steve Siirila <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:27:04 -0600

After reading this thread, I couldn't help but wonder about how the
addition of a "PSD flag" specifically targeted to DMARC might be repurposed
for other non-DMARC applications since my understanding is that the PSL is
currently being used for other purposes as well.  Just food for thought.

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:05:45 -0500

> currently being used for other purposes as well.  Just food for thought.

I suspect they will be rare enough that it won't be generally useful.  If it 
is though, there's nothing we can do to prevent it, so I think it's not 
something we should be overly concerned with.

Scott K

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 2022 12:55:38 -0500

It appears that Steve Siirila  <[email-masked]> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-

Since the PSD flag only appears in records at _dmarc.whatever I doubt there
will be many non-DMARC applications looking at them.

More saliently, we had an entire working group called DBOUND that tried and failed
to come up with a way to publish boundary info about the DNS:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dbound/about/

I had what I thought was a dandy proposal, implemented here:

https://github.com/jrlevine/bound

R's,
John

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:28:49 -0800

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dbound/about/

DBOUND came up with two ways to deal with this, but no clear winner emerged
in terms of development of consensus.  It doesn't necessarily mean those
proposals weren't valid.

-MSK

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 2022 18:43:17 -0500

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> More saliently, we had an entire working group called DBOUND that tried
>> and failed to come up with a way to publish boundary info about the DNS:
>>

All three of the proposals would have worked technically, but we never got 
consensus to move any of them forward.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly