Subject: [DMM] Protocol Action: 'MN Identifier Types for RFC 4283 Mobile Node Identifier Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dmm-4283mnids-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 11:07:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MN Identifier Types for RFC 4283 Mobile Node Identifier Option'
  (draft-ietf-dmm-4283mnids-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Distributed Mobility Management Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-4283mnids/

Technical Summary

   The Mobile Node Identifier Option for MIPv6 [RFC4283] has proved to
   be a popular design tool for providing identifiers for mobile nodes
   during authentication procedures with AAA protocols such as Diameter
   [RFC3588].  To date, only a single type of identifier has been
   specified, namely the MN NAI.  Other types of identifiers are in
   common use, and even referenced in RFC 4283.  This document proposes 
   adding some basic types that are defined in various telecommunications 
   standards, including types for IMSI, P-TMSI, IMEI, and GUTI. 
   Also includes identifiers that are tied to the physical elements of the 
   device (RFID, MAC address etc.) 

Working Group Summary

    There is consensus in the WG to publish this document. This document has been discussed in the working group for a while and has been reviewed by several WG participants.

Document Quality

    The document has been reviewed by the document shepherd and several WG participants. It has also received several directorate reviews including a very comprehensive Gen-ART review. The earlier version of this document (RFC4283) was required in 3GPP2 networks.

Personnel

  The document Shepherd is Dapeng Liu. The Responsible
  Area Director is Suresh Krishnan.