Subject: [DNA] RE: Last Call: 'Link-layer Event Notifications for Detecting Network Attachments' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dna-link-information)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:58:44 +0200

I apologize for the last day comments. I am still in time however, I
hope. 

1. The strategy and heuristics described in 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 for
detecting the presence of a bridge port and the link-up connectivity
could be improved by using the IEEE 802.1X Port Based Network Access
Control Standard http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1x.html. This
protocol involves interaction between the host and the attachment port
on a bridge, which happens prior to the other control protocols like
STP/RSTP and 802.1AB being activated, actually those are allowed to run
only if the security framework allows authenticated access of the host
to the network. The exchange of information and credentials includes the
identification of the host and bridge respectively. 

2. In 2.4.2 - ' Where the host is not running STP itself, no explicit
indication that forwarding has begun is sent from a bridge.' - well,
hosts never run STP, only bridges do. 

3.  another nit in 2.4.3 - 

   'Where a host receives the Systems Capabilities TLV which
   indicate that no Bridging or Repeating is occurring on the LLDP
   transmitter, then no delays for STP calculation will be applied to
   packets sent through this transmitter, if the host does not perform
   STP itself.  

Again, hosts do not perform STP. Also only Bridging should be mentioned
here, as only bridges run STP, repeaters do not. 

4. The Security Consideration section could refer when speaking about
'authentication, replay and integrity protection of link-layer
management messages' to the IEEE 802.1AE standard - Media Access Control
(MAC) Security http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1ae.html which was
approved by the IEEE in June 2006 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: The IESG [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 5:20 PM
> To: IETF-Announce
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Last Call: 'Link-layer Event Notifications for 
> Detecting Network Attachments' to Informational RFC 
> (draft-ietf-dna-link-information) 
> 
> The IESG has received a request from the Detecting Network 
> Attachment WG to consider the following document:
> 
> - 'Link-layer Event Notifications for Detecting Network Attachments '
>    <draft-ietf-dna-link-information-05.txt> as an Informational RFC
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and 
> solicits final comments on this action.  Please send any 
> comments to the [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists 
> by 2006-12-31.
> 
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dna-link-inform
> ation-05.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:05:44 -0500

Hi Dan,
   Thanks for the review. Sorry I could not reply earlier since I was on 
vacation. Please find comments inline.

Thanks
Suresh

> identification of the host and bridge respectively. 

Would you like me to add a sub section regarding 802.1X?

> hosts never run STP, only bridges do. 

OK. Will this text work?

"A host connected to a bridge port does not receive any explicit 
indication that the bridge has started forwarding packets."

> here, as only bridges run STP, repeaters do not. 

Will replace with

"Where a host receives the Systems Capabilities TLV which
  indicate that no Bridging is occurring on the LLDP
  transmitter, then no delays for STP calculation will be applied to
  packets sent through this transmitter."

Is that OK?

> approved by the IEEE in June 2006 

OK. Will do.