Subject: [dns-privacy] Google Public DNS redirected through BGP

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:54:53 +0100

https://twitter.com/bgpmon/status/445266642616868864

What's the link with DNS privacy? It's an example on a possible
threat when you use a public DNS resolver without authentication. I do
not know the motivactions of the attacker (it may have been a simple
fat-fingering) but such a BGP hijacking could be used to spy on Google
Public DNS traffic.

See also <http://thehackernews.com/2014/03/google-public-dns-server-traffic.html>
(confused explanations at the end)

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 22:18:31 +0100

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:54:53PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 

> fat-fingering) but such a BGP hijacking could be used to spy on Google

And here, public resolvers Google Public DNS and OpenDNS redirected in
Turkey, apparently through the IGP. Privacy implications are obvious:

http://www.bortzmeyer.org/dns-routing-hijack-turkey.html