Subject: [dns-privacy] Private DNS

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:43:03 -0400

So far we have been talking about DNS Privacy. But what is more
important to many Internet users is control over their choice of DNS
providers.

Consider the following:
https://twitter.com/enginonder/status/446819815106576384/photo/1

Right now we have several million Internet users who want control over
their DNS service. I am pretty sure that they don't want their
government to know what sites they are visiting. But they also want to
make sure that government censors can't block criticism of the ruling
party.

So the challenge as I see it is not just DNS-Privacy, it is providing
users with a private DNS. As in a DNS service that is their private
choice and under their private control.

This was the use case that I started with that resulted in OmniBroker.
Encrypting DNS traffic is a different set of requirements but the hard
part of the problem is essentially the same: We have to do a key
exchange.

As an attempt to close the earlier discussion on 'backwards
compatibility', could I suggest the following as a criteria:

* Any DNS Encryption scheme has to be compatible with the getdnsapi
except for extensions to the setup/configuration part of the API.

I know getdnsapi is not a standard, there are other implementations,
yadda yadda. But it is a really useful sanity check. Any proposal that
is compatible with getdnsapi is likely to work as a drop in
replacement for existing DNS.

As an anti-censorship tool, OmniBroker is a lot more powerful because
it is designed to allow the service to give more comprehensive
tactical advice. So for example, the OmniBroker could say 'connect to
this site using TOR'.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/