Subject: [dns-privacy] Call for Adoption: draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-dns-privacy

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:41:08 -0700

Dear DPRIVE WG,

This starts a Call for Adoption for draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-dns-privacy.

[ Please note: I am assuming that Stephane and DNSOP are both OK with
us adopting this. It is referenced in our charter, and so might be
adopted by reference, but figured might as well appease the process
gods by doing this officially... Short CfA because it seems
obvious...]

The draft is available here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-dns-privacy/

Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for
adoption by DPRIVE,
and comments to the list, clearly stating your view.

Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.

This call for adoption ends Fri 24-Oct-2014.

In addition, to satisfy RFC 6702 ("Promoting Compliance with
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)"):
If you are personally aware of any IPR that applies to
draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-dns-privacy, has this IPR been disclosed in
compliance with IETF IPR rules? (See RFCs 3979, 4879, 3669, and 5378
for more details.)

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:54:02 -0400

> and comments to the list, clearly stating your view.

I support adoption, 
> Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.

will review and provide edits 

	Olafur

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:56:31 -0700

With no hat,  I too support adoption of this document.

tim

On 10/17/14 9:54 AM, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy
>

---

From: Matthew Pounsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:12:53 -0700

> and comments to the list, clearly stating your view.

I support adoption.

> Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.

Will review and provide edits.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:08:58 -0700

I support the adoption of this document as a WG item and will review it actively.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:02:56 -0700

... and, in retrospect I should have said:
This call for adoption ends Fri 24-Oct-2014, or when it is obvious
which way consensus lies...

Anyway, let's keep the date as 24th, but there is nothing to stop folk
from starting to review, provide feedback, etc...

W

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:28:46 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:41:08AM -0700,
 Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 43 lines which said:

> I am assuming that Stephane and DNSOP are both OK with
> us adopting this. 

I certainly am.

> Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for

I think so :-)

> Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review,

I intend to continue to be the editor, should the WG agree. See you in
Honolulu.

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:51:41 -0700

>> I am assuming that Stephane and DNSOP are both OK with

Excellent, I'd assumed you would be, but figured it was politer to ask...

>> Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for

Excellent!

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:57:06 +0000

On Oct 17, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Warren Kumari <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

I support the adoption of this document by the new DPRIVE working group.

I will be glad to review and provide edits, etc.

Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>   +1-802-735-1624
Jabber: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Skype: danyork   http://twitter.com/danyork

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:47:33 -0400

I support adoption and have made some comments to the list already.

I am not sure if we need to eventually publish the document as an RFC
however. In particular I don't think we should try to get that doc perfect
before going on to the real work of building protocols. It should be a
running summary of the design rationale for the current proposal(s) we are
working on, not a rationale for something we plan to build.

In my view, it is exactly the type of document the RFC series was
originally intended to publish. But getting such docs through IESG last
call can be rather wearing.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:21:01 +0200

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 01:47:33PM -0400,
 Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 147 lines which said:

> however.

Whatever the solutions we design, they will take years before they
will be fully deployed. Therefore, it is important to document
publically the current state of DNS privacy.

> It should be a running summary of the design rationale for the
> current proposal(s) we are working on, not a rationale for something
> we plan to build.

Neither the first, not the second. It is supposed to be a description
of the current issues / problems with DNS privacy.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:48:12 -0400

> I will be glad to review and provide edits, etc.

ditto.

or in local jargon:  +1

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:48:52 -0400

> This call for adoption ends Fri 24-Oct-2014.

... And there is clear consensus for adopting this.

Author, please resubmit as -ietf-dprive-

Thank you!
W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf