Subject: [dns-privacy] update to draft-hzhwm-dprive-start-tls-for-dns

From: John Heidemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:25:52 -0700

Folks,

Based on feedback from the Dallas WG meeting we've updated the i-d
draft-hzhwm-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-02.
This note summarizes the additions since the -01 draft.

Two things came up in Dallas discussion:

- There was confusion over what privacy expectations one could expect
from how DNS-over-TLS was used.   We have added a new section 3 "usage
profiles" to discuss the distinct use of this protocol for opportunistic
and pre-deployed privacy.

- There was microphone (Peter K., I think) and hallway discussion about
the number of TCP connections that one would expect from this approach.

DNS-over-TLS will encourage DNS-over-TCP, so we have added text in 
2.3 (established sessions) to clarify the number of TCP connections one
would expect with DNS-over-TLS.

However, really numbers of connection is a property of DNS-over-TCP, not
the TLS part.  The dnsop WG is discussing DNS over TCP the context of
ietf-dnsop-5966bis.  In the long run we assume that that effort will
capture best practices to manage TCP connections.

- We've also made some edits to smooth the text.

We hope the -02 update clarifies these questions.

  -John Heidemann
   	(on behalf of the draft-hzhwm-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-02 authors)