Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:27:17 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange of the IETF.

        Title           : Specification for DNS over TLS
        Authors         : Zi Hu
                          Liang Zhu
                          John Heidemann
                          Allison Mankin
                          Duane Wessels
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-06.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2016-02-22

Abstract:
   This document describes the use of TLS to provide privacy for DNS.
   Encryption provided by TLS eliminates opportunities for eavesdropping
   and on-path tampering with DNS queries in the network, such as
   discussed in [RFC7258].  In addition, this document specifies two
   usage profiles for DNS-over-TLS and provides advice on performance
   considerations to minimize overhead from using TCP and TLS with DNS.

   This document focuses on securing stub-to-recursive traffic, as per
   the charter of the DPRIVE working group.  It does not prevent future
   applications of the protocol to recursive-to-authoritative traffic.

   Note: this document was formerly named
   draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns.  Its name has been changed to
   better describe the mechanism now used.  Please refer to working
   group archives under the former name for history and previous
   discussion.  [RFC Editor: please remove this paragraph prior to
   publication]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Wessels, Duane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:53:28 +0000

Revision -06 of this draft includes the following changes:

- Changed the title to "Specification for DNS over TLS"
- Clarified that this document focuses on stub-to-recursive use
  of TLS, leaving recursive-to-auth for future work.
- Rewrote some section 3.1 text which (still) says that clients
  and servers MUST use port 853, but could instead use some other
  port by mutual agreement.
- Added missing forward reference to the "Out-of-band Key-pinned
  Privacy Profile."
- Other minor improvements based on comments from the INT directorate
  review.

DW

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 12:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy