Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:39:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange of the IETF.

        Title           : Specification for DNS over TLS
        Authors         : Zi Hu
                          Liang Zhu
                          John Heidemann
                          Allison Mankin
                          Duane Wessels
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-08.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2016-03-15

Abstract:
   This document describes the use of TLS to provide privacy for DNS.
   Encryption provided by TLS eliminates opportunities for eavesdropping
   and on-path tampering with DNS queries in the network, such as
   discussed in RFC 7626.  In addition, this document specifies two
   usage profiles for DNS-over-TLS and provides advice on performance
   considerations to minimize overhead from using TCP and TLS with DNS.

   This document focuses on securing stub-to-recursive traffic, as per
   the charter of the DPRIVE working group.  It does not prevent future
   applications of the protocol to recursive-to-authoritative traffic.

   Note: this document was formerly named
   draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns.  Its name has been changed to
   better describe the mechanism now used.  Please refer to working
   group archives under the former name for history and previous
   discussion.  [RFC Editor: please remove this paragraph prior to
   publication]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:07:13 -0400

Dear DPRIVE,

his 08 version of the DNS-over-TLS draft addresses Brian Carpenter's
GEN-ART review and also IESG review comments of Brian Habermann, Stephen
Farrell, and Ben Campbell.

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mar 16, 2016 00:39
> Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-08.txt
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 05:43:47 +0000

Thanks to the authors for integrating / addressing comments - this
documents about done (modulo the RFC Ed dance :-))

We still have not heard any requests for agenda time - we are not sure that
it is worth meeting. We don't want to be using an agenda slot if it isn't
actually needed, and don't want to meet just for the purpose of meeting /
looking like we are busy.

W