Subject: [dns-privacy] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-12.txt> (Specification for DNS over Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 06:31:36 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS PRIVate Exchange WG (dprive)
to consider the following document:
- 'Specification for DNS over Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)'
  <draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-12.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-11-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DNS queries and responses are visible to network elements on the path
   between the DNS client and its server.  These queries and responses
   can contain privacy-sensitive information which is valuable to
   protect.

   This document proposes the use of Datagram Transport Layer Security
   (DTLS) for DNS, to protect against passive listeners and certain
   active attacks.  As latency is critical for DNS, this proposal also
   discusses mechanisms to reduce DTLS round trips and reduce DTLS
   handshake size.  The proposed mechanism runs over port 853.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.