Subject: [dns-privacy] DNS over DTLS

From: Tariq Saraj <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:50:16 +0500

Hi all,
My question is that, at one side "Specification for DNS over Transport
Layer Security (TLS) i.e. RFC7858" is a proposed standard now.
Whereas, on the other side in the "draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-13",
The motivations for proposing DNS-over-DTLS are that

   o  TCP suffers from network head-of-line blocking, where the loss of
      a packet causes all other TCP segments to not be delivered to the
      application until the lost packet is re-transmitted.  DNS-over-
      DTLS, because it uses UDP, does not suffer from network head-of-
      line blocking.
In the very next point of this draft it is also mentioned that " However,
with TCP Fast Open [RFC7413], the implementation can achieve the same RTT
efficiency as DTLS."
In addition to that, in the recent IETF97 meeting regarding the DNS privacy
they have presented a technique of OOOP for TCP.
So, why the community still need DTLS for DNS?

-- 
Regards
Tariq Saraj
Riphah Institute of Systems Engineering, Islamabad