Subject: [dns-privacy] RFC 8310 on Usage Profiles for DNS over TLS and DNS over DTLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:40:15 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8310

        Title:      Usage Profiles for DNS over TLS
                    and DNS over DTLS 
        Author:     S. Dickinson, 
                    D. Gillmor,
                    T. Reddy
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 58893
        Updates:    RFC 7858

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dprive-dtls-and-tls-profiles-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8310

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8310

This document discusses usage profiles, based on one or more
authentication mechanisms, which can be used for DNS over Transport
Layer Security (TLS) or Datagram TLS (DTLS).  These profiles can
increase the privacy of DNS transactions compared to using only
cleartext DNS.  This document also specifies new authentication
mechanisms -- it describes several ways that a DNS client can use an
authentication domain name to authenticate a (D)TLS connection to a
DNS server.  Additionally, it defines (D)TLS protocol profiles for
DNS clients and servers implementing DNS over (D)TLS.  This document
updates RFC 7858.

This document is a product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC