Subject: Conclusion on WGLC DNSSECbis document set.

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:05:08 +0100

Dear colleagues,

This is a conclusion of the WGLC on
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-intro-08, draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-records-06
and draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-04 as issued Mon, 22 Dec 2003 [1].

The executive summary: The protocol is ready, the documents are not.

As mentioned in postings to the list during WGLC and in the report on
the work-shop last week in Amsterdam [2], there are a number of
editorial nits and issues identified that will need some work by the
editors and the working group. Most of them can be identified as
unexplained (and or unneeded) MUSTs, SHOULDs or MAYs.  Sometimes
definitions where not clear. All in all, some of the implicit details
will need to be made a little more explicit.

How to go forward.

The coming days I will try to put new issues (those that are more
than just editorial nits) to the list in the forms of questions, this
may include issues recently discussed on the list. The questions come
with 'default' resolutions. Please raise your voice if the proposed
resolutions lead to inconsistencies with other part of the specs, are
an example of bad engineering or just plainly wrong. On silence we
assume you can live with the proposal and the editors will do
further word crafting to merge the resolutions in the specs.

Since I would like the editors to try and roll the document set before
the final submission cut-off (February 16, 09:00 ET) there will be a
week for discussing the issues. 

The documents will be available for review for some time and we hope
to be able to forward the next revision to the IESG around IETF59.

-- Olaf Kolkman
   DNSEXT Co-Chair.

[1] WGLC issued in
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg02307.html
and extended in
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2004/msg00005.html

[2] Workshop report:
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2004/msg00069.html

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>