Subject: semantic overload

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:43:27 +0000

ok,
	Ed is btwn a rock and a hard place.  He has done great work
	with wild cards, working out most of the kinks.  I'm still 
	in favor of allowing all labels to exist, the tough call is
	trying to properly represent a "wildcard" in a zone file.

	e.g.  having the character "*" represent both a valid label
	as well as a trigger for other processing.   perhaps we could
	use something else to indicate "wildcard" functions should be
	involked.... like /null :)

--bill

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:56:42 +0100 (CET)

> 	involked.... like /null :)

So I can't delegate /null anymore  :)

Roy

---

From: Alex Bligh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:01:06 +0000

> 	involked.... like /null :)

Why is this a qualitatively different problem from other characters
(e.g. CR, LF) which can (for the masochistic) be valid constituent
components of labels?

Can't we just say that in some circumstance (presumably "on disk"
format at a minimum, but also presumably AXFR) some characters need
to be escaped if you don't want them to assume their special meaning?
IE I'm pretty sure that having
	$ORIGIN	example.com
	\052		IN	MX	notawildcardmx.example.com.
	*		IN	MX	wildcardmx.example.com.
isn't going to break very much, is it?

Not sure how this affects AXFR though...

Alex

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:03:00 +1100

> 	involked.... like /null :)

	Wildcard label type?  '\*' it indicate.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:24:04 +0100

$ORIGIN	example.com

Should actually be \042

	jaap

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:12:08 +1100

>     	*		IN	MX	wildcardmx.example.com.

	One needs to change the wire format.

---

From: Alex Bligh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:22:08 +0000

> One needs to change the wire format.

I presume you mean by that that if non-wildcard asterisk labels are
legitimate, then some wire format packets are ambiguous as to whether they
mean a wildcard or an non-wildcard asterisk label? If so, and if this is a
"real problem", then surely it's easier to change wire format for the
(hardly ever used because of this problem) non-wildcard asterisk label than
for (relatively frequently used) wildcards?

Alex