Subject: Re: an example on wildcard proof.

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:30:37 -0500

At 02:48 PM 3/8/2005, Roy Arends wrote:
>Note that there is no need to prove the nonexistence of
>test1.test2.example.com, since test2.example.com does not exist.

I'm not sure that that is true. If I add the following A record to the
example.com zone:

test1.test2            10800   IN      A       1.2.3.4

and I don't create any records for test2 does test2.example.com
exist, and if I ask won't I get an NXDOMAIN response?

Danny

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:36:59 +0000

> exist, and if I ask won't I get an NXDOMAIN response?

test2.example.com is an empty non-terminal. This "exists" in DNS 
terminology. It will appear in the NSEC(3) chain.

Cheers,

Ben.

---

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:56:01 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Danny Mayer wrote:

> exist,

Yes, the name exist, but there is no data at test2.

> and if I ask won't I get an NXDOMAIN response?

You'd get a NOERROR/NODATA response.

Roy