Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call:'Resolution ofFQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to ProposedStandard]

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:44:05 -0800

[ Moderators note: Post was moderated, either because it was posted by
   a non-subscriber, or because it was over 20K.  
   With the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss and therefore 
   delete relevant posts by non-subscribers. 
   Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:51:13AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Phil is suggesting something like _dhcid.domain .

Except the difference between NXDOMAIN and NXRRSET is important for the
DHCID.

-- 
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:51:13 -0500

>>>>> "Ted" == Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> writes:

    Ted> On Monday 28 November 2005 20:00, Hallam-Baker, Phillip
    Ted> wrote:
    >> OK so why are you proposing a new protocol rather than writing
    >> a description of the protocols that are already in use?

    Ted> It's inconvenient to use TXT records, because they are not
    Ted> specific to the purpose.  If the user wants TXT records on
    Ted> the name for some *other* purpose than marking the name with
    Ted> a DHCID, it doesn't work.

--Sam