Subject: humid IPv6 addresses

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:54:01 +0200

Dear Namedroppers,

I'm new on this list. When you have time, could you 
please tell me what you think about the ideas presented 
in the following I-D:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-ipv6humid-01.txt

I've already been told about multicast-based DNS protocols. 
However, I couldn't really understand why I would use a new 
protocol (for my purposes). I tend to see this as a new technique 
made possible by IPv6 (rather than comparing it to other 
protocols).

You may also note that the definition of a NAME is quite
different in this draft. It's not really a name in the 
traditional sense. I'm also wondering if such naming 
(easier for the user imho) may be reused somewhere else.

Looking forward to your comments, if any.

Thanks.

pars

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:36:06 +0200

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:54:01PM +0200,
 Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> I'm new on this list. When you have time, could you please tell me
> what you think about the ideas presented in the following I-D:
> 

[I am not sure that namedroppers is the proper place to discuss it.]

It seems a very good idea and I find the general scheme useful and
reasonable. A nice addition to techniques like LLMNR.

I have two big issues:

1) Section 3.1 "Human name disambiguation recommendations" should be
completely replaced by the description of a stringprep profile (RFC
3454), instead of your custom algorithm.

You can get inspiration from the profile SASLprep (RFC 4013). (You
have to add your rule which suppresses dashes.)

2) There is no "Internationalization considerations" section, which is
a paradox since this protocol will use human names as input. If Ahmed
El-Sayed wants to type his name in his own script, which is
reasonable, using UTF-8 seems better than US-ASCII. Using stringprep,
as suggested above, addresses this issue.

---

From: Pars Mutaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:30:54 +0200

> [I am not sure that namedroppers is the proper place to discuss it.]

I don't know either :-) 

I would say IPv6 WG and/or DNSEXT WG.

IPv6 wg can approve the mechanism. 
DNSEXT is familiar with the goal.

I guess I'll have to ping pong for a while.

> as suggested above, addresses this issue.

I agree. Thanks (especially for the RFCs! I'm glad to see that they
exist).   

pars