Subject: Re: leading zeros, odd digit counts in salt

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:58:43 +1000

*  The Salt field is represented as a sequence of case-insensitive   
      hexadecimal digits.  Whitespace is not allowed within the
      sequence.  The Salt Field is represented as "-" (without the  
      quotes) when the Salt Length field has value 0.

	I think the above needs to be tightend to say that leading
	zeros *are* significant and that there be pairs of hexadecimal
	digits.  A salt is not a number and shouldn't be treated as
	such.

   *  The Salt field is represented as a sequence of pairs of
      case-insensitive hexadecimal digits.  Leading zeros are significant.
      Whitespace is not allowed within the sequence.  The Salt Field
      is represented as "-" (without the quotes) when the Salt
      Length field has value 0.

	e.g. 00ff indicates a salt of length 2 with the first 8 bits set
	to zero and the second 8 bits set to 1.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:17:33 +0200

>    to zero and the second 8 bits set to 1.

I agree. I'll add it to the draft.

Roy