Subject: [dnsext] Re: Signing the root with SHA-1 by Sep 1st

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:22:28 -0400

William Allen Simpson wrote:
> My rationale is that educational institutions will be started, or ready
> to start shortly thereafter.  They are already dealing with new students,
> and help desks will be able to give strong feedback on any problems.
> 
> Likewise, many/most businesses will have their staff back from holidays.
> 
> Finally, it's a Tuesday.  I've always found it best to roll out changes
> on Tuesday, as it gives plenty of customer feedback time during the week.
> Mondays are often consumed with catching up on any operational problems
> over the weekend.  Tuesday is better.  02:00 UTC is my favorite, although
> anytime after 00:00 UTC usually works OK.
> 
That message was posted August 8th.  The root did not begin running DNSsec
today.  Does anybody have a fixed date in writing?

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:47:56 +0000

> Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:22:28 -0400
> From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
> ...
> ... The root did not begin running DNSsec today.
> Does anybody have a fixed date in writing?

craftily, there is no one person who could put such a thing in writing,
and therefore noone who can be personally blamed for doing it, or not
doing it.  we're signing the root by invisible consensus, where anyone
who knows where the dependencies are is bound to secrecy lest they be
removed from the loop.

estimates heard floating on the wind are, december of 2009.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 01:21:34 +0000

> today.  Does anybody have a fixed date in writing?

	perhaps the folks responsible did not think yours was the 
	deciding opinion?

--bill