Subject: [dnsext] DNS RFC Dependency graphs published

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:55:27 +0000

I've just published some RFC Dependency Graphs showing the current state of
the DNS-related RFCs:

Extract from http://blog.nominet.org.uk/tech/2010/05/24/436/

--8<--8<--

Spurred by a recent Slashdot posting, I¹ve produced some graphs showing the
relationships between the RFCs which define the DNS protocol.

The graphs (which are in SVG format) split the DNS-related RFCs into three
groups (although some RFCs end up in more than one group):

* Core Protocol RFCs
* Resource Record Definitions
* DNS Operational Guidelines

The point of these graphs is not to show which RFCs refer to other RFCs, but
to show which RFCs update or obsolete other RFCs.  Hence the graphs give an
³at a glance² overview of which RFCs define the DNS protocol as it is now.

Boxes in red indicate obsoleted RFCs, and square boxes indicate
Informational or Best Current Practice documents.  Hovering over a box
should tell you the title of the RFC, and clicking on a box will take you to
the RFC itself.

--8<--8<--

I hope you find them useful - source code and config files will follow at
some point...

Ray