Subject: Re: [dnsext] WGLC-Summary: TCP-requirements

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:49:43 +0000

> no.  that would be new work, not a clarification.

FWIW, that's my position too, but as Editor I'm at the whim of the WG...

> since the server can close based on connection congestion or other need,
> the client should leave the connection open unless it has a reason to
> close it, such as exiting an application or context, or for reasons
> similar to the server's possible reasons (congestion).  if streams of
> queries from a client to a server are able to reuse a tcp session it'll
> be great for everybody.  i'd go further: if you have to open a tcp/53
> session you should make all possible attempts to reuse it for as long as
> practical.

Curiously, MarkA previously told me BIND does the opposite - it closes TCP
connections just as soon as it's done with them (which is usually straight
away).

Ray

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 15:16:06 +0000

> From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:49:43 +0000
> 

sorry, i was being pithy when i wrote:

> similar to the server's possible reasons (congestion).

bind's context for an outbound tcp connection is very short lived.  the work
of keeping a connection pool and using them in a longer lived way isn't done
but could be done.  right now the rfc's don't make a recommendation in this
area but if they did then bind would certainly comply with those.  it's also
possible that bind will try this out, since no rfc prohibits or discommends.