Subject: Re: [dnsext] WGLC: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-registry-fixes-06

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:56:00 -0800

It feels like the table in the -06 draft will only be understood by people who have followed the discussion this year on DNSEXT, not by typical DNSSEC implementers. The latter won't fully understand what "status" means, even if they read the RFC. The fact that the normative words in the table don't match those in the main DNSSEC spec makes it even more problematic.

Given that, I thought I would make a pass at the table to see if I could make it clearer while saying the same thing as is intended by -06. The proposed changes are:
- Changed "Status" to "Conformance to RFC TBD1"
- Made the conformance requirements clearer
- Made the references to be where the algorithm is defined, not where
  it has a status change
- Removed "ECC" from 4

                                        Trans-  Conformance
                                  Zone  action      to
Number  Description    Mnemonic   Sign  Sign     RFC TBD1     Reference
------  -----------     ------    ----  -----  ------------   ---------
  0      Reserved                                             [RFC4398]
  1      RSA/MD5         RSAMD5     N     Y    MUST NOT       [RFC2537]
                                               IMPLEMENT     
  2      Diffie-Hellman  DH         N     Y                   [RFC2539]
  3      DSA/SHA-1       DSASHA1    Y     Y                   [RFC2536]
  4      Reserved until
         2020
  5      RSA/SHA-1       RSASHA1    Y     Y    MUST           [RFC3110]
                                               IMPLEMENT
  6      DSA-NSEC3-SHA1  DSA-NSEC3  Y     Y                   [RFC5155]
                         -SHA1                               
  7      RSASHA1-NSEC3   RSASHA1-   Y     Y    RECOMMENDED    [RFC5155]
         -SHA1           NSEC3-                TO IMPLEMENT   
                         SHA1
  8      RSA/SHA-256     RSASHA256  Y     *    RECOMMENDED    [RFC5702]
                                               TO IMPLEMENT
  9      Reserved until                                      
         2020
 10      RSA/SHA-512     RSASHA512  Y     *    RECOMMENDED    [RFC5702]
                                               TO IMPLEMENT
 11      Reserved until                                      
         2020
 12      GOST R          GOST-ECC   Y     *                   [RFC5933]
         34.10-2001                                          
13-251   Unassigned
 252     Reserved for    INDIRECT   N     N                   [RFC4034]
         Indirect keys                                       
 253     private         PRIVATE    Y     Y                   [RFC4034]
         algorithm                                           
 254     private         PRIVATEOID Y     Y                   [RFC4034]
         algorithm OID                                       
 255     Reserved

Please let me know if you think I have succeeded in keeping the ideas from -06 but making them clearer.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium