Subject: dhcp / secure dynamic update workshop results

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:05:47 +0100

this week, ripe ncc hosted a workshop in amsterdam with the purpose of
shaking out dhcp interaction with secure dynamic update.  aside from the
good company, food, beer, etc. we were successful in getting much of it to
work rather well.

a simple statement of the goal is for me to bring my laptop to minneapolis,
get a dhcp assignment, and automagically securely update the forward and
reverse nameservers so that my laptop remains roam.psg.com, the name it
has at home.

this resulted in a 'how to' page which we would appreciate your reviewing,
trying, and commenting.  you can find it at <http://ops.ietf.org/> (note
NOT www.).

we will be attempting to support this at minneapolis, so test and prepare
now.  you can do this at home.  you can even do it forward-zone-only at
strange places, as long as they do not block dns updates.

thanks to ripe ncc for their great hospitality, to brian and ted for clue
insertion and debugging, and to the gang for cooperation, sense of humor,
and clue.

we hope this is of use to the community.

randy