Subject: [dnsop] Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-02.txt

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:04:08 -0700

Folks,

	The WGLC on this one was scheduled to end today at 1500
	PDT (GMT/UTC-7). However, there have been several
	comments that need to be resolved before we can go
	forward. We will revisit this one after the authors have
	revised the document.

	Thanks,

	Dave

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:22:35 +0900

(explicitly cc'ing to the authors)

>>>>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:04:08 -0700, 
>>>>> David Meyer <[email-masked]> said:

> 	forward. We will revisit this one after the authors have

In section 2.2.1, the draft says:

   [...]
   Implementations that perform lame server caching MUST refrain from
   sending queries to known lame servers based on a time interval from
   when the server is discovered to be lame.  [...]

In general, I agree on this recommendation.  But it might cause a
rather undesirable result when all authoritative servers seem to be
lame, since some authoritative server implementations can be lame for
particular resource record types.  (See Section 4.4 of
draft-ietf-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-01.txt for more details)

Of course, what is wrong here is "lame" authoritative servers.  But
sometimes we need to explore workaround to deal with real-world's
problems...

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if the recommendation also applies to the case
where *all* authoritative servers seem to lame.  In the beginning of
Section 2.2, the draft says as follows:

   A more common occurrence is a subset of a zone's name servers being
   unavailable or misconfigured.

But I could not be sure if this section (including the recommendation)
only concentrates on the case where a subset of the servers behave
badly or it also considers the case where all of them are bad.

If the intention is the former, then please make it clear throughout
the section, particularly in Section 2.2.1.

If the intention is the latter, I hope the document also notes that
the recommended behavior may sometimes cause undesirable result while
the behavior generally makes sense.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html