Subject: [dnsop] Document Action: 'Common Misbehavior against DNS Queries for IPv6 Addresses' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:02:23 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Common Misbehavior against DNS Queries for IPv6 Addresses '
   <draft-ietf-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary
 
 There is some known misbehavior of DNS authoritative servers when
 they are queried for AAAA resource records. Such behavior can block
 IPv4 communication which should actually be available, cause a
 significant delay in name resolution, or even make a denial of
 service attack. This memo describes details of the known cases and
 discusses the effect of the cases.

Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the dnsop working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html