Subject: [dnsop] SCTP and DNS

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:00:40 +0100

Hi DNS people,

I've recently been looking at SCTP and am wondering if it might have uses
for DNS.

Without having looked too long at it, it appears that the 4-way handshake
would allow a server to actually have long standing and pretty
spoof-protected connections with clients, while protecting the server from
SYN flooding.

The frame oriented mode is very well suited to DNS, which prevents the 'head
of line' blocking inherent to TCP.

The SCTP people do appear to have thought of DNS, if I read things well you
can pass a *DNS* name of your host to the remote so it knows all your IP
addresses in one go.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm no SCTP expert. But I think it
merits looking in to.

Regards,

bert

-- 
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software 
http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html