Subject: [dnsop] Request for assistance in drafting an operational practice document

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:01:32 +1100

Hi,

The IAB is in receipt of a request (indirectly from ICANN) regarding the 
drafting of an operational practices document relating to the operation of 
top level domain name servers and other issues related to the operation of 
a DNS top level domain (similar to RFC 3172, and RFC 2870, only at a more 
generic level than just a single TLD).

 From the IAB I have offers of assistance from Itojun Hagino and Patrick 
Faltstrom, but I'd really appreciate some offers of assistance in document 
preparation from members of this working group. I'd also like to request 
the indulgence of the chairs of the working group to allow me to pass a 
draft to this WG for any comments and feedback, once the draft is in a 
state to be reviewed of course.

So at this stage I'd be interested in any volunteers to assist in preparing 
this document, and I'd also be interested in pointers to any DNS TLD 
operational practices documents in addition to the 2 RFC's already noted above.

thanks,

   Geoff Huston
   Hat:  Executive Director, IAB

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:57:03 +0100

Hi Geoff,

    So at this stage I'd be interested in any volunteers to assist
    in preparing this document, and I'd also be interested in
    pointers to any DNS TLD operational practices documents in
    addition to the 2 RFC's already noted above.

CENTR put out three different versions of such a BCP, twi of them
are on line and historic, but I cannot find the current one on line.
About 1.5 year ago, a draft was published by  Zita Wenzel, Randy
Bush and Steven Huter titled ``Country-Code Top-Level Domain Best
Current Practices''. It expired in March 2004.

The SSAC (http://www.icann.org/committees/security/) has some
dicuments in general about DNS..

The http://www.generic-nic.net/HOWTO site an attempt to explain
''HOWTO setup a domain registry''.

This is my short list, but there is some more stuff around which I
need to look up.

	jaap
.

---

From: "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:06:40 +0100

At 09:01 20/12/2004, Geoff Huston wrote:

> Faltstrom, but I'd really appreciate some offers of assistance in 
> document preparation from members of this working group. I'd also like to 
> request the indulgence of the chairs of the working group to allow me to 
> pass a draft to this WG for any comments and feedback, once the draft is 
> in a state to be reviewed of course.
>
>So at this stage I'd be interested in any volunteers to assist in 
>preparing this document, and I'd also be interested in pointers to any DNS 
>TLD operational practices documents in addition to the 2 RFC's already 
>noted above.

Dear Geoff,
The ccTLD Best Practices are under 
http://www.wwtld.org/ongoing/bestpractices/20001114.BestPractice.html . It 
was quite complex to reach this consensus which is now acccepted among ccTLD.

I am certaily ready to help in bringing the experience of a small tld 
registry management and of the development of its management tools. I am 
not sure however of the exact scope of the intended document. I would hate 
it to propose single or favored model in the served community definition 
and organization, architecture, management, organization, services, 
databases, IDNA, whois, registrant support, payment system, naming policy, 
conflict prevention and management, new services, etc. or to interfere with 
the ICANN relations issues. But if the intent is to define QoS in these 
different areas and suggest ways to reach them for ccTTLDs of different 
sizes and organizations, policy and strategy, budget and economical models, 
then I am certainly ready to help and contribute.

JFC Morfin

>..

.

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:29:19 -0800

>> Current Practices''. It expired in March 2004.

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-wenzel-cctld-bcp-00.txt

Dave

.

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:52:16 +1100

Perhaps if you look through the two referenced RFCs you'd have a good idea 
of the intended scope of such a document. I don't believe its intended to 
cover the material you;ve suggested here.

regards,

  Geoff

At 05:06 AM 21/12/2004, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:
>>drafting of an operational practices document relating to the operation 
>>of top level domain name servers and other issues related to the 
>>operation of a DNS top level domain (similar to RFC 3172, and RFC 2870, 
>>only at a more generic level than just a single TLD).
>>
>> document preparation from members of this working group. I'd also like 
>> to request the indulgence of the chairs of the working group to allow me 
>> to pass a draft to this WG for any comments and feedback, once the draft 
>> is in a state to be reviewed of course.
>>
>>preparing this document, and I'd also be interested in pointers to any 
>>DNS TLD operational practices documents in addition to the 2 RFC's 
>>already noted above.
>
>Dear Geoff,
>conflict prevention and management, new services, etc. or to interfere 
>with the ICANN relations issues. But if the intent is to define QoS in 
>these different areas and suggest ways to reach them for ccTTLDs of 
>different sizes and organizations, policy and strategy, budget and 
>economical models, then I am certainly ready to help and contribute.
>
>JFC Morfin
>
>
>
>>thanks,
>>
>>   Geoff Huston

.