Subject: [DNSOP] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt]

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:12:26 -0400

Folks,

If you are looking for a cliche, how about:  better late th, an never?

This is revised based on original presentation about dns-attrleaf, in order to
document it as a starting point for working group discussion.

I suppose, in fact, this should have been submitted as
draft-ietf-dsnop-attrleaf, but it was too late for a new draft posting.

I know at least one participant has an alternative data model to propose for
registration, and am hereby encouraging him to submit his comments, in order
to get group discussion going.

d/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:15:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: DNS Scoped Data Through Attribute Leaves
	Author(s)	: D. Crocker
	Filename	: draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2007-7-11
	
Historically, any DNS RR may occur for any domain name.  Recent
     additions have defined DNS leaf nodes that contain a reserved node
     name, beginning with an underscore.  The underscore construct is used
     to define a semantic scope for the associated, parent domain name,
     within which the use of some RRs is constrained.  Hence the
     underscore construct defines a basic paradigm modification to the
     DNS.  This note explores the nature of this DNS usage and defines the
     procedures for registering "underscore names" with IANA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:58:37 -0500

Folks,

 From what I've seen, there have not been any postings on this wg topic.

Nonetheless since we are in the midst of IETF week, I'd like to ask whether 
anyone has interest in talking about this sometime during the week.

d/

> document it as a starting point for working group discussion.
...

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:58:37 -0500

Folks,

d/

...

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:10:45 -0400

Dear colleagues,

> anyone has interest in talking about this sometime during the week.

I think the draft is probably needed, because we already see two
different underscore uses, and if people are going to continue to do
that, it'd be nice if they did it the same way.

I will note that I sort of hate the approach outlined in section 3 in
the draft as written.  In the current form, we have a table that
either has a value in the subordinate field, _or_ a value in the RR
field; in either case, the other field has to be NULL.  If I put on my
data geek hat, this sort of makes me queasy, on normal form grounds.
Given the way different underscore uses have emerged, however, I have
yet to come up with anything that would make this much simpler, and
still actually cover the cases we have. 

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [email-masked]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:10:45 -0400

Dear colleagues,

Best regards,

A

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:53:12 -0500

> still actually cover the cases we have. 

Andrew,

Thanks for posting this.

As we've discussed privately, this seems to be a relatively straightforward 
trade-off between cleanliness of the design versus number of tables that IANA 
will have to maintain.  But by straightforward, I mean that understanding the 
choice is easy, not that making the decision is.

The concern that drove the current document's design was to reduce the number 
of tables.  However your concern that it causes two columns of the table to 
interact is correct and I certainly agree that it has its downsides.

Do others have some thoughts on this?

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:53:12 -0500

Andrew,

Thanks for posting this.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:33:29 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 03:53:12PM -0500, Dave Crocker wrote:

> trade-off between cleanliness of the design versus number of tables that 
> IANA will have to maintain.  But by straightforward, I mean that 
> understanding the choice is easy, not that making the decision is.

Right. As I said, while I don't like it, I can't think of anything
better given the other goals and limitations (like the inability to go
back in time and tell the underscore users to pick one convention and
stick to it.  That darned arrow of time).

A

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:33:29 -0400

A