Subject: [DNSOP] New Draft Charter

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 04:05:14 +0100

Dear WG,

after several attempts, here is the most recent version of the new DNSOP
charter to be discussed in tomorrow's WG session:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DNS Operations (DNSOP) Working Group will develop and review guidelines
for the correct, efficient and secure configuration of DNS authoritative
servers, resolvers, and DNSSEC validators.
Target audiences for those guidelines are zone administrators as well as
software developers who provide tools for DNS zone administration or (default)
server/resolver/validator configuration.

The group will perform the following activities:

1) develop or review guidelines for chosing zone configuration
   parameters that affect inter-server or server-resolver communication,
   including but not limited to SOA RR parameters, TTL values, and glue
   information

2) develop or review guidelines for any DNSSEC specific operational
   parameters, such as key length or key validity periods

3) investigate and identify requirements of DNSSEC to the lower layers,
   both transport and network
4) develop or review operational guidelines that address the specifics of
   IPv4/v6 coexistence and transition

5) review the use of existing DNS frameworks (SRV, DDDS) in other protocols,
   especially focussing on operational consequences and scalability, most
   importantly when these frameworks are used in other wg's protocol proposals.

6) develop and review guidelines for resolver (stub and full) behaviour,
   including search path and timing issues as well as query strategies.

7) establish terminology and methodology for performance measurements
   of servers, resolvers or the service as such.

8) identify the requirements for a name server configuration and control
   protocol.

To avoid overlap with the DNS Extensions working group, the DNSOP group
will not change the on the wire behaviour of the DNS.  Terminology issues
will, where appropriate, be addressed in coordination with DNSEXT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This version is expected to take into account the feedback given on the list
and during the WG meetings in and after 2006 as well as recent additions
to the set of active work items.

-Peter
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop