Subject: [DNSOP] Internet Registration Bar BOF Update

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:59:38 -0500

Internet Registration Bar BOF (Update)

This is an update to an announcement set March 4.

When: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 8pm PDT (-0700)
Where: IETF 77 Conference hotel - Hilton Anaheim
Room: Mezzanine 1, Mezzanine Level, 3rd Floor, a.k.a Conference Room 1

The session is 1/2 hour after the conclusion of the plenary session 
on Wednesday evening to give those attending a chance to grab food 
and/or beverage.

Agenda of topics

1. Extensions to EPP as it exists today
2. Requirements for EPPbis
3. Requirements for the submission of DNSSEC's DS record into the
    registration system

There is no existing mail list for this effort, after the bar BOF one 
will be set up based on discussions.  (Probably.)

Some context:

There is a regular BOF scheduled that applies to registration 
activity during IETF 77:
    Registry Data Escrow/Internet Registration Escrow BOF
That BOF is on "yet another topic" related to registration operations 
and has a clearer focus than this bar BOF.

1. EPP is a full standard (STD69) and is designed to be extensible. 
One effort is to try to publicize the extensions being made that are 
not documented in the RFC document series.

2. In addition, the growth of registration organizations has pointed 
out that the basic EPP protocol has some built-in assumptions about 
the operations environment, the second effort is to understand the 
limitations and possibly generate a EPPbis requirements.

3. DNSSEC generates data that must be transferred from one management 
zone to another.  In the business world, the interface between 
management zones have evolved into numerous forms.  The data DNSSEC 
needs to transfer is a hash of something, that is, data that is not 
"on the tip of anyone's tongue."

The work as envisioned may or may not easily fit into the IETF's 
notion of a (single) WG, not even a focused BOF.  The goal of this 
discussion is to try to come up with a plan for establishing a more 
universal means for registration of Internet objects, including 
DNSSEC data recognizing that we also have an installed base that is 
functioning.

This announcement is being sent to the IETF general list, DNSOP WG, 
and CENTR-Tech members.  If a wider audience might benefit from 
knowing about this, please forward on and let me know.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis             
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.