Subject: [DNSOP] Ugly Hack, Step 4: Solution Options

From: Jason Livingood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:53:24 -0400

4 - After we understand Problem Definition, Problem Detection, and Problem
Scope, then you can arrive at possible solutions.  Seems like in this case
we sort of *started* here, which concerns me and I think we need to be
careful that discussion thus far does not constrain development of a full
list of Solution Options.  I further believe we will need to encourage the
pursuit of multiple solutions simultaneously.  Lastly, just because end user
software upgrades may be difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't do them and
shouldn't focus just as much energy on those than other options.

Thoughts  but only after 1, 2, 3 are answered?

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 06:31:33 +0900

Jason Livingood wrote:

> Scope, then you can arrive at possible solutions.

The problem is lack of support of TCP/IP for hosts with multiple
addresses.

Its scope is not limited to IPv6 nor HTTP but TCP/IP in general.

A host with two IPv4 addresses also suffers, when one of its
addresses is sometimes unreachable from its peer.

The solution can be properly constructed not at the connectionless
IP layer but at the lowest layer above IP to support connection,
which means TCP needs a major revision. Or, you can say SCTP,
though it may also need a major revision to be really usable
against the problem.

If large delay is not a problem, trying all the addresses with
single-address TCP works, which is the case with SMTP.

The problem has nothing to do with DNS except that RFC1034 says:

	In practice it is important to use
	all addresses of a multihomed host,

which is a proper solution for (half) connections over UDP.

						Masataka Ohta

PS

When almost all hosts have single IPv4 addresses (and single IPv6
addresses), the most practical tentative solution is not to deploy
IPv6.

Long term solutions need drastic changes on treatment of multihomed
ISPs and address allocation policies, which also excludes, with
RFC2374 obsoleted, IPv6.