Subject: [DNSOP] DNS trickery and RFC 5841 -- was: Re: Misguided IPv4-IPv6 DNS trickery

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:15:56 +0200 (MESZ)

[[ Apologies for cross-posting; this turns into scope of DNSEXT ... ]]

Since most DNS queries are carried over UDP and hence cannot make
use of RFC 5841, I suggest that we standardize an equivalent EDNS
option, preferably with the same (inofficial) option number of 25.
Then, BIG content providers and DNS service providers can start
crafting DNS responses depending on the option content -- a much
more general solution of the problem of the day.

:-)

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

P.S.:  The above RFC number obviously is an obfuscated _relative_
       date, based on the birth year (1952) of some important folks,
       not the 1970-based epoch as in common operating systems.
       Please read 5841 as an encoding of 2010-04-01.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+