Subject: [DNSOP] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 15:00:05 -0700

This starts a Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback

Current versions of the draft is available here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback/
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-01

Please review the draft and offer relevant comments. Also, if someone 
feels the document is *not* ready for publication, please speak out with 
your reasons.

This starts a two week Working Group Last Call process, and ends on 
Thursday, June 18th, 2015

thanks
tim

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 00:05:49 +0100

Are there any implementations of this draft?

If resolvers are encouraged to use NSEC records to synthesize NXDOMAIN
responses, would there still be any point to this draft?

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall: Southeasterly 5 to 7, becoming cyclonic 7 to severe gale 9,
occasionally storm 10 in south. Moderate or rough, becoming rough or very
rough, occasionally high in south later. Rain or squally showers. Moderate or
poor.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:48:28 -0700

> Are there any implementations of this draft?

Assuming you mean "is anyone deploying the ideas in this draft, particularly those in Appendix B", that would be good information for the authors to have.

> responses, would there still be any point to this draft?

Yes. No one has written up a document on using NSEC records to synthesize NXDOMAIN for the root, and if they do, there will certainly be operational considerations for that that are different than the operational considerations for this draft. I'm not saying one would be better than the other, but I suspect that the operational description of this draft would be easier for an operator to understand.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 00:20:20 -0400

> On Jun 4, 2015, at 7:48 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

Paul, 
I consider this a good start in the discussion of NSEC aggressive use
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse-00.txt <http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse-00.txt>

Olafur

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 14:27:41 +0900 (JST)

> From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>

I wroite "Aggressive use of NSEC/NSEC3 resource records may decrease
queries to Root DNS servers." in
draft-fujiwara-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse-00 as a side effect.

Is it related to root-loopback document?

# I will update the draft soon.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <[email-masked]>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:21:19 -0700

On Jun 8, 2015, at 10:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> draft-fujiwara-dnsop-nsec-aggressiveuse

My apologies for forgetting about your draft. We will mention it as an alternative approach in the introduction to draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback and include an informational reference to it.

--Paul Hoffman