Subject: [DNSOP] RFC-3658 errata (minor)

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

I was writing some hashing to create DS records code when I noticed
in the RFC-3658  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3658#section-2.4

    The key tag is calculated as specified in RFC 2535.  Algorithm MUST
    be allowed to sign DNS data.  The digest type is an identifier for
    the digest algorithm used.  The digest is calculated over the
    canonical name of the delegated domain name followed by the whole
    RDATA of the KEY record (all four fields).

       digest = hash( canonical FQDN on KEY RR | KEY_RR_rdata)

       KEY_RR_rdata = Flags | Protocol | Algorithm | Public Key

    Digest type value 0 is reserved, value 1 is SHA-1, and reserving
    other types requires IETF standards action.  For interoperability
    reasons, keeping number of digest algorithms low is strongly
    RECOMMENDED.  The only reason to reserve additional digest types is
    to increase security.

    DS records MUST point to zone KEY records that are allowed to
    authenticate DNS data.  The indicated KEY records protocol field MUST
    be set to 3; flag field bit 7 MUST be set to 1.  The value of other
    flag bits is not significant for the purposes of this document.

It talks about "KEY record" and "KEY RR" and "KEY records". This should
really be "DNSKEY record", "DNSKEY RR" and "DNSKEY records".

Should an errata be filed for this?

Paul

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:26:00 -0400

> On Jun 7, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
Paul 
I would say no as document is obsoleted by newer documents 
Obsoleted by: 4033 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4033>, 4034 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4034>, 4035 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4035>                         PROPOSED STANDARD
Updated by: 3755 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3755>                                                  

If you need to file errata file it against 4034 

Olafur

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:31:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

> Obsoleted by: 4033, 4034, 4035 PROPOSED STANDARD
> Updated by: 3755
> 
> 

Ahh 4034 actually states:

      digest = digest_algorithm( DNSKEY owner name | DNSKEY RDATA);

It's just me who needs an errata :)

Paul