Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 7706 on Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:37:22 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7706

        Title:      Decreasing Access Time to Root 
                    Servers by Running One on Loopback 
        Author:     W. Kumari, P. Hoffman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24234
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-root-loopback-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7706

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7706

Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
times to the closest DNS root server.  Some DNS recursive resolver
operators want to prevent snooping of requests sent to DNS root
servers by third parties.  Such resolvers can greatly decrease the
round-trip time and prevent observation of requests by running a copy
of the full root zone on a loopback address (such as 127.0.0.1).
This document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root
zone that does not pose a threat to other users of the DNS, at the
cost of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC