Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 06:52:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS query name minimisation to improve privacy
        Author          : Stephane Bortzmeyer
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2015-11-29

Abstract:
   This document describes a technique to improve DNS privacy, a
   technique called "QNAME minimisation", where the DNS resolver no
   longer sends the full original QNAME to the upstream name server.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 16:02:58 +0100

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 06:52:34AM -0800,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08.txt
...
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-qname-minimisation-08

Post IETF-LC version, now waiting a writeup before going to the IESG.

Note a terminology change (suggested by Ralph Droms) in the suggested
algorithm "parent" has been replaced by "ancestor". (The node carrying
the authoritative name servers to query is not always an immediate
parent because 1) zone cuts are not at every label 2) the resolver may
not know the real closest node, when its cache is still cold.)