Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: Volunteer Needed for ICANN Technical Liaison Group

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:28:27 -0500

All

In case this did not end up in your mailbox, the ICANN Technical Liaison 
Group (TLG) is relevant to our interests.  I think there are many 
competent people in DNSOP (including the current liaisons Warren Kumari 
and Paul Wouters) who could add value.

thanks
tim

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Volunteer Needed for ICANN Technical Liaison Group
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:28:52 -0800
From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>

Dear Colleagues,

Please forward to all interested parties.

On behalf of the IETF, the IAB names two technical experts to
ICANN Technical Liaison Group (TLG).  The ICANN Bylaws (Article XI-A,
Section 2, Paragraph 6) asks the IETF, ITU-T, ETSI, and W3C to each
provide two technical experts.  The technical experts are expected to be
"familiar with the technical standards issues that are relevant to
ICANN's activities." These eight experts are expected to be "available
as necessary to determine, through an exchange of e-mail messages, where
to direct a technical question from ICANN when ICANN does not ask a
specific TLG organization directly."

The ICANN bylaws can be found at
http://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/bylaws.

The current experts are Warren Kumari (term ends January 2016) and Paul
Wouters (term ends 2017). Warren Kumari has indicated that he is willing
to serve again. The IAB would like to see whether others are interested
in serving in this capacity.

The IAB is asking the community for volunteers to serve a two-year term
on the ICANN TLG.  If you are interested, please send a short email
message to iab-chair at iab.org with a copy to execd at iab.org with
your motivation and information concerning your familiarity with the
IETF and ICANN as well as the other standards organizations represented
on the TLG.  The deadline for volunteering is Monday, 4 January 2016.

The IAB will select from the available candidates, taking into account
the familiarity with ICANN and the IETF, their roles, and the IETF
protocols.  While familiarity with ETSI, ITU-T, and W3C is also
desirable, it is not required.  The selected candidates will serve on
the ICANN TLG on personal title; however, the IAB will be looking for a
candidate who has an understanding of the interests of the technical
community.

The IAB will select one person for a two-year term ending in 2018.

The ICANN TLG is expected to meet in person at or around the
three ICANN meetings held each year.

NOTE: ICANN does cover travel and hotel costs for a pre-determined
number of days at each of the ICANN meetings.

If you are willing to be considered or would like to nominate someone
else for one of the TLG positions, please send an email message to
iab-chair at iab.org and execd at iab.org by 4 January 2016.

On behalf of the IAB,
    Cindy Morgan
    IAB Executive Administrative Manager

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:21:47 +0000

> and Paul Wouters) who could add value.

... and I'm (of course) happy to chat with anyone about this and discuss
the role, expectations, etc.
W

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:25:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Warren Kumari wrote:

> ... and I'm (of course) happy to chat with anyone about this and discuss the role, expectations, etc.

Same here,

Paul

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:23:06 -0800

if i may, i would like to suggest that while there is value that can be 
added from contributors to dnsop, the scope of policy currently 
entertained by the corporation so many love to slag includes privacy 
(whois, or was, on port 43), data retention under national laws, the 
operational mechanics of data proxy providors, functional and 
performance data access, and technical communications with a similar 
entity operating similarly.

it is a target rich, complex environment.

-e

On 11/25/15 11:28 AM, Tim Wicinski wrote:
>
> All
>
> In case this did not end up in your mailbox, the ICANN Technical 
> Liaison Group (TLG) is relevant to our interests.  I think there are 
> many competent people in DNSOP (including the current liaisons Warren 
> Kumari and Paul Wouters) who could add value.
>
> thanks
> tim
>
>
>

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 05:18:59 -0500

You are correct Eric.  I was pointing it out to the working group I 
co-chair, but hope other WG Chairs would do the same thing.

And thank you Paul and Warren for offering your time to discuss the 
duties.

tim