Subject: [DNSOP] Soon-to-come DNS over HTTP drafts

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:03:31 +0900

All,

At BII we have been working on a couple of drafts that might be of
interest to the dnsop working group. We are happy to work them through
as independent submissions, but if there is interest in the working
group then we are also happy to do the work here.

Sorry we don't have the drafts submitted yet. :( But here is a rough
idea about them.

We have one document that is a kind of survey document of DNS over
HTTP. We go through the whole taxonomy of DNS over HTTP, starting from
DNS just using port 80 instead of port 53, through various levels of
encapsulation, and finally ending up with REST-style API's at the very
end.

The other document describes our specific implementation, which sits
kind of in the middle of the the previous document, using DNS packets
sent in wire format via application/octet-stream. While of less general
interest, probably this is more important to standardize for
interoperability reasons.

Anyway, I am sure the quality of any resulting RFCs will be higher if
the working group adopts them, but I this is not super important in
either case. We are happy either way. :) 

Cheers,

--
Shane

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:08:10 +0900

\o/

-G

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: "jewforice ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 13:29:58 +0800

Hi Shane
We've been using our implementation of DNS over HTTP for about 2 years ( Of
course not in  RESTFUL style, just some rough plain text format ).
So I  strongly support working on this draft to help standardize this kind
of DNS service.

---

From: Robert Edmonds <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 00:31:43 -0500

> interoperability reasons.

Why not register a media type for RFC 1035 §4 messages, rather than
using application/octet-stream?  (There is even already an
"application/dns" media type, but it's not what you want.)

-- 
Robert Edmonds