Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-01.txt

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 20:39:10 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:33:21AM -0800,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 44 lines which said:

>         Title           : NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath
>         Authors         : Stephane Bortzmeyer
>                           Shumon Huque
> 	Filename        : draft-bortzmeyer-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-01.txt

Many changes from -00:

* new co-author
* more detailed intro
* now (wants to) updates 1034 and 2308
* discussions on the mailing list mentioned (
* mention of 2308
* mention of 6604 issues (xNAME chains)
* mention of DNSSEC issues
* why SOA records are not usable here

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 2015 13:15:40 -0000

Mostly OK, but

>* why SOA records are not usable here

I would remove all of the discussion about SOA.  You cannot infer
anything about the structure of the zone from the SOA other than the
obvious fact that the SOA is the root of the zone.

For the cache purges, I'd say that the cache SHOULD purge any names
under the NXDOMAIN name, but we realize that in some caches that may
be infeasible.

If you want to say something interesting about future directions, say
that in DNSSEC with NSEC the NXDOMAIN response includes the names
lexically before and after the name you asked about, so the cache can
safely synthesize NXDOMAIN responses for all names in that range.
When I suggested this a few years ago, people told me I was stupid,
but when it came up again more recently, people grudgingly admitted it
was reasonable.  For applications like IPv6 rDNS and DNSBLs where
there are a lot of queries into a very sparse namespace, it should be
a win.

R's,
John