Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-04.txt> (The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 08:23:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-11-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DNS messages between clients and servers may be received over either
   UDP or TCP.  UDP transport involves keeping less state on a busy
   server, but can cause truncation and retries over TCP.  Additionally,
   UDP can be exploited for reflection attacks.  Using TCP would reduce
   retransmits and amplification.  However, clients commonly use TCP
   only for fallback and servers typically use idle timeouts on the
   order of seconds.

   This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") that
   allows DNS servers to signal a variable idle timeout.  This
   signalling facilitates a better balance of UDP and TCP transport
   between individual clients and servers, reducing the impact of
   problems associated with UDP transport and allowing the state
   associated with TCP transport to be managed effectively with minimal
   impact on the DNS transaction time.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.